Voltage Regulator
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:07 pm
Hi-- I have a 1993 Mercury 75-HP outboard engine on a similar-age 15-foot boat. I bought the outfit privately last year because both the boat and the engine looked to be in very good condition.
Last weekend we were out on the sea water skiing. By the afternoon there was smoke coming from the engine and a smell of burning. After switching off and letting it cool down, I opened up the engine side panels and saw that the regulator and its wires had burnt out. I realise this is an old engine and maybe we had be been giving it a hard time.
What would cause [the regulator] to overheat and burn out?
I have read somewhere that the battery should be a non-maintenance free type, which mine is not. Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers--Neil Rolfe
Last weekend we were out on the sea water skiing. By the afternoon there was smoke coming from the engine and a smell of burning. After switching off and letting it cool down, I opened up the engine side panels and saw that the regulator and its wires had burnt out. I realise this is an old engine and maybe we had be been giving it a hard time.
What would cause [the regulator] to overheat and burn out?
I have read somewhere that the battery should be a non-maintenance free type, which mine is not. Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers--Neil Rolfe