Cole Hersee M-121 replacement

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
f8f1

Cole Hersee M-121 replacement

Postby f8f1 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:49 pm

My 1986 OUTRAGE 18 has a removable white all-round light lamp mounted on a pole. The connector for the wiring is a Cole Hersee M-121. When disconnected the connector on the pole section (male end) is exposed to the elements mounted in one of the rod holders under the gunwale. The other end of the connector (female end) is exposed to the elements in the splash well.

The stern light is the only light I ever have a problem with, specifically the connector. This year the resistance in the connector was not allowing the light to do any more than glow weakly. Eliminate the connector and I’m back to 12.5v at the bulb (12.8v at the battery) with a nice bright light.

I’m looking for a replacement 2-pole waterproof connector with some sort of cover to protect it when disconnected. I will use the spare Cole Hersee M-121 in my spares box if I have to. I'm just looking for a better solution.
John Handcock and Abalonee
18' 1986 Boston Whaler Outrage
150 ETEC
Clare Mary WDH3114
Class B AIS

jimh

Re: Cole Hersee M-121 replacement

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:08 pm

I have a great solution for you: on my own boat I am using a two-pole DEUTSCH connector. It is has worked perfectly for me for about seven seasons of boating.

I have the Deutsch connectors and a set of matching male and female dust caps for them. When the pole lamp is not in use, the caps are installed on the connectors, which provide an excellent seal for protecting the contacts. When the pole lamp is deployed, the two caps mate with each other, and create a somewhat larger gizmo that won't be lost so easily.

I also have installed the cable-end boots on each connector. These further protect the cable wiring end of the connector and help to keep out any water. I use the solid Nickel pins and sockets. These are a bit of an expense, but you only need two of each.

See some data about the connectors and pictures of the connectors here:

TWO-POLE CONNECTORS
http://www.deutschconnector.com/product ... onnectors/

BOOTS
http://www.deutschconnector.com/product ... way_boots/

DUST CAPS and PLUGS
http://www.deutschconnector.com/product ... and_plugs/

I really like the DEUTSCH connector for this application. It is easy to mate and un-mate, a characteristic you will not find in some similar connectors like the Seal-Tite line. There are no exposed pins--a very desirable characteristic in a power connector. The connector is very reliable; it is also completely field installable and field repairable without any special tooling. And in many mating and unmating cycles, I have never lost the cap and dummy plug.

You may find these connectors available at lower cost from a larger distributor like MOUSER. MOUSER sells an equivalent connector for about half the price of the boutique vendor I linked to above. It can be a bit tedious to dig out all the part numbers from MOUSER, but it will cut your costs significantly. I order from MOUSER for just about all my small electrical components. They are easy to do business with. You can start here:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE- ... Ah_D8P8HAQ

Note that from MOUSER you must order the connector body, the pins or sockets, and the retaining plug as separate components of the total connector.

There is a rather funny and long thread, filled with passionate recommendations for navigation lamp connectors, at

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002500.html

f8f1

Postby f8f1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:20 am

Those Deutsch connectors and dust caps look perfect. What is the functional difference of the stamped vs solid pins/sockets?

The proper crimpers look to be a bit pricey, so I would need to solder the pins/sockets. I usually try and avoid soldering. I am the self-appointed king of cold solder joints. I may order some extra pins and sockets so I can practice.

Thanks for the pointer to the old thread. I remember the discussion now, a bit spirited at times.
John Handcock and Abalonee
18' 1986 Boston Whaler Outrage
150 ETEC
Clare Mary WDH3114
Class B AIS

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:01 am

The Deutsch pins can be crimped with rather generic crimpers. I use my MOLEX crimpers to crimp many brands of crimp contacts.

The solder-cup pins and sockets are more substantial. They are machined instead of just stamped out. I prefer solder-cup contacts because they can be repaired easily in the field.I have been soldering electronic components for about 55 years, so I do have some experience and technique in that domain. I also have some old rolls of solder that have lead and actually solder easily, unlike the new "communist solder" (as we used to call it) that is safer but is a pain to work with.

The use of crimp contacts in connectors is common now. In a production situation, the crimp contacts have a number of advantages:

--lower cost
--can be ordered on long rolls for use in automation machinery
--avoids labor costs to employ and train skilled workers to solder contacts

For a one-off installation, use of solder-cup contacts has these advantages:

--avoids necessity of purchase of specialized crimp tools
--creates repairable connection
--provides much stronger pin and socket contacts that should be more durable
--provides superior contact materials such as silver or gold

The slight additional cost of the solder-cup contacts is not really a concern. Spending an extra $4 on installation of a critical navigation lamp is not an expense that would (or should) cause any competent boater to have financial concerns.

SpiessStudios

Postby SpiessStudios » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:40 pm

[Six years later the thread is revived]

Q1: how are [the Deutsch connectors] holding up?

Q2: would [the Deutsch connectors] work in a saltwater environment?

Q3: do you have any pictures of the [the Deutsch connectors]?

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:57 pm

SpiessStudios wrote:Q1: how are [the Deutsch connectors] holding up?
The connectors are in perfect condition in June 2022, 12 years after I installed them.
SpiessStudios wrote:Q2: would [the Deutsch connectors[ work in a saltwater environment?
I can’t predict how they will work in saltwater. I keep mine dry as much as possible. They are not designed to work under water. If you need an electrical connector that is intended to tolerate immersion in saltwater, you will have to find another choice--and a much larger and more expensive connector I am sure.
SpiessStudios wrote:Q3 do you have any pictures of the [the Deutsch connectors]?
I have no pictures. If you read my original article and click on the hypertext for the connectors, the dust caps, and the boots, you will be taken to pages that show pictures of the connectors, the dust caps, and the boots. I do not see a need for a picture from me; the connectors I have are just like the ones in the pictures on the pages that are linked in the original article. The original article explicitly mentions the hypertext leads to pictures.