Fell Marine MOB Engine Shut-off

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
porthole

Fell Marine MOB Engine Shut-off

Postby porthole » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:59 am

This wireless engine shut-off safety device was touched on in another thread about wearing PFD's.

Fell Marine MOB engine shut-off

The Fell Marine MOB is an electronic device that will shut off your outboard if you fall overboard or move a set distance away from the boat. Good feedback so far on The Hull Truth website. There are plenty of questions answered on the FAQ section of the manufacturer's website.

I just ordered my kit. There is a discount code available if you order from the factory website that is good for 30% off the entire order.

That code is: Mobplusintro
Free shipping and no tax as well.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Re: Fell Marine MOB Engine Shut-off

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:13 am

What do those strange icons on the face of the device mean? I have no idea--and I suspect no one would. Are they decorations? Or are they trying to convey some sort of meaning such as the function of a button?

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:29 pm

Jim - I believe it is the company's logo. The icon over top the logo is the XHUB's battery indicator. It shows the battery status of the xFOB. The ring on the xHUB is the pairing indicator.
logo.JPG
logo.JPG (9.34 KiB) Viewed 29456 times
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Does the circular gizmo on the boat run on its own battery? Is that why it has a battery indicator? Does the battery icon illuminate? If the icon does illuminate, what state does that represent?

A safety lanyard is a simple device. I am trying to figure out this replacement. It seems a bit complicated.

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:05 am

The circular gizmo is the xHUB and it gets wired directly to power - it actually can be used stand-alone or in parallel with your existing kill switch. Or it can be used as a MOB alarm only device. The battery symbol on the xHUB shows the battery strength on the wireless connected xFOB - the device that you wear. The four bars indicate 10 %, 40 %, 70 % and 100 % of battery life. The xFOB is suppose to have total battery life of 300 hours of connected time it uses a CR2032 battery. The xFOB pairs with the xHUB just like a Bluetooth phone - I think up to 20 xFOB's can be paired to a single xHUB, so each crew member can be protected in a MOB situation.

E-Tec.JPG
E-Tec.JPG (92.28 KiB) Viewed 29444 times

Also note there is an external antenna that is install on the back of the xHUB. It requires about 8.5" of depth from the rear of your console - you need to keep this in mind when picking your mounting location:
Attachments
xHUB.JPG
xHUB.JPG (29.11 KiB) Viewed 29432 times
Member since 2005

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:18 am

What happens if one day you get to the boat to go out and the battery in the remote is dead or you can't find the remote. Will the engine start?

ASIDE: The doorbell on my house is wireless and it uses that same battery. The darn thing is always dead. It drives me crazy.

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:57 am

Yes - BUT it could be a bit annoying - based on the FAQ sections - you can override the system in two ways.

1) The xHUB installed in the boat has a button. If you press & hold this button for 13 seconds it will enter Override Mode. In Override Mode you can drive the boat without the need to connect the xFOB. The xHUB will sound a bip every 30 second and blink yellow every 2 seconds to remind you that you are not wirelessly connected. The Override Mode will shut down after 2 hours. After 2 hours you need to press & hold for 13 more seconds to re-enter Override Mode. ( I can't find a reference whether the engine will just stop after the 2 hour period, if so this could create a safety concern in certain boating situations)

2)In the unlikely event that there is a failure to the xHUB you can physically override the unit. The cable leading to the xHUB comes with an emergency plug, this plug can be inserted into the IP68 connector on the cable wires (kill switch wires) leading to the engine(s). This will physically jump the kill switch wires to bypass the kill switch allowing the engines to start and run.
Member since 2005

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Got my MOB kit, I will try and get it installed today (while I wait for my agonizingly slow delivery from Lowrance).
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

porthole

Postby porthole » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:04 am

Installed my MOB kit yesterday.

I mounted it where the dash was almost as thick as the threaded portion of the main unit. The locking collar threads do not start for about the 3/8-inch. Instructions recommend gluing-in the control if the threads won't work. I ended up using duct tape on a piece of PVC, screwed the collar on over the tape and then used a chop saw. That worked and the control is secure in the dash.

My original lanyard controls are so short I can't get in to splice wires, so for now I left the lanyard out of the equation.

The wire connectors supplied with the kit are a bit smaller then the typical Ancor brand wire. My Ancor ratcheting crimpers would not crimp tight enough to hold the connectors to the pig tails.

The wireless remote and the wireless base paired up right away and turned on and off as expected.

Fell Marine is on the THT board and I added this suggestion to my thread over there:

Fell Marine - I would suggest either longer threaded portion on the control head or full threads on the collar. And longer pig tails. I have a lot of wire here but not matching size and colors, and I needed to extend the harness a bit.

What [the Fell Marine MOB Engine Shut Off] did not do:

--shut off when I walked away from the boat, over 200-feet

--shut off when I dropped it in a bucket of water, either on the deck or 20-feet from the boat, this was with the fob in the wrist strap.

If I removed the fob from the wrist strap and dropped it in a bucket, about [half] the time it would shut the engine after what seemed like six to 10 seconds.

Suggestions?

In a way I guess this could be considered a "anti-opportunistic" anti theft device. For now the key switch lanyard is non functioning. So either leaving the key in the ignition or just someone with a key and spare lanyard would be prevented from jumping and and driving away without having or knowing to click the fob.

Boating alone probably 90+% of the time I find a good value in this device.
Even if I can't get back to the boat easy enough due to distance, sea and wind state, at least I know the boat shouldn't be running up on a beach at cruising speed, or worse into a jetty on auto pilot heading in.
Fell Marine MOB engine cutoff device
Last edited by porthole on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Re your comments on the amount of threaded material on the device and the limit it imposes on mounting to an instrument panel: I looked at some marine instruments I have on hand and measured the maximum panel thickness that could be used in mounting them with the supplied hardware; they could tolerate 1.375-inch thick panels. These instruments could also be mounted to very thin panels with the same hardware. The Fell Marine MOB device seems to have a more limited range of panel thickness that can be accommodated in mounting.

Re the distance between the base and remote key fob before activation of engine shut off: I presume the basis for determining when to shut off the engine is the strength of the signal received from the key fob remote. If that is true, I can see how on dry land you could be 200-feet away and not have the signal strength drop below threshold. The better test may be to get in the water and submerge the key fob a foot below the surface. I suspect the separation distance between base and remote need to trigger the engine shut off will be less.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:16 pm

Re the theft-prevention aspect: do not put too much faith into security through obscurity. I suspect boat thieves will soon learn how to activate the override function of the Fell Marine MOB Engine Shut off it they are trying to steal a boat that has one.

A much simpler anti-boat theft device is to insert a hidden switch in series with the engine starting circuit. Conceal the switch in some obscure location, and remember to leave the switch in the open-circuit position when leaving the boat unattended.

porthole

Postby porthole » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:36 pm

Went out Striper fishing today (aka striped bass, rockfish and more), didn't catch any fish but I did try the MOB fob by dunking in the river. The MOB shut the engine down in 3-5 seconds.
I don't wear a watch, so having the fob mounted in the wrist strap took some getting used to. But after an hour so it was unnoticeable.
For me the product is a winner.

Jim, as far as theft protection, I was refering to the 'opportunistic' thief, not the serious or professional thief.

A Spot Trace would be a good addition, aiding in getting the boat back after it is stolen.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Todd

Re: Runaway Boat in Half Moon Bay

Postby Todd » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:57 am

[Moved to this thread from another topic in which it was collateral to the discussion--jimh]

I ran across a product that I thought was interesting and pertinent to this conversation. It's the Fell Marine man overboard (MOB) wireless safety switch. It cost about $220 in the basic version.

I may add it to my 2003 160 Dauntless this off season. I don't use the existing lanyard as often as I should as it ties me to the helm restricting my movements around the boat. This system would seem to allow for free movement yet shut down the engine should one fall overboard.

porthole

Postby porthole » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Just hauled the boat last week. So I have about 13 months since I installed this device. In the 6 months of use I am very pleased with the value of the Fell kit.

And fortunately I did not fall overboard once to test it.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:29 am

Overall it sounds like a good device that adds the convenience of moving around the boat without the need to unhook the ignition switch lanyard. It's a little pricey but so is everything connected to boating.

Is it possible to use the same fobs with two or more boats?
Butch

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Jefecinco wrote:Overall it sounds like a good device that adds the convenience of moving around the boat without the need to unhook the ignition switch lanyard. It's a little pricey but so is everything connected to boating.

Is it possible to use the same fobs with two or more boats?

There are frequently 30% discounts on the price of the device.

As to the question of [one-fob for two-boats], I don't know. I have the first version of the kit. The latest version has increased capabilities, mainly the number of fobs that can be connected [to the boat's receiver].

I run alone most of the time, so for me there is value in the device. Previously I only attached the lanyard when running the inlets or rough seas, and only while at the helm.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:39 pm

For a guy who owns two boats and has installed a radio-actuator safety lanyard device on each boat, it would seem rather important to keep track of which FOB device went with which boat. You'd hate to fall overboard and be wearing the wrong FOB. On the other hand, perhaps the boat engine won't start at all if the correct FOB is not in radio range. Is that how it works?

porthole

Postby porthole » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:14 pm

The FOB inserts into an available belt clip, lanyard or wrist mount in a variety of colors.
I'm sure multiple color choices cold be used for different boats.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Fuelfish

Postby Fuelfish » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:07 am

[Moved from another discussion in which this was a collateral topic--jimh]

I have been running the Fell Marine MOB system on my [30-foot] boat for about 18-months, and I have to say it is absolutely flawless. I have the [wireless transmitter] key fob attached to my inflatable PFD. Fell Marine makes lanyards and wrist straps, too, if you want. The Fell Marine MOB system is remarkable.

My boat is long enough that a lanyard attachment to the safety switch is not practical. When setting baits or when anchoring [I found the wireless key fob transmitter was going] outside [the] limit of the [receiver] range, and [the Fell Marine MOB system] kept turning off the engine--which it should do. I wrote [Fell Marine], and they sent me an external antenna that resolved this problem.

If [the wireless fob transmitter] goes in the water the engine shuts off.

If you go [too] far away the engine shuts off.

[The Fell Marine MOB system] also re-activates the engine ignition after about five seconds so that the people on board--if there are any--can restart the engine and come get you.

I was [careful to consider all circumstances and possible consequences of the Fell Marine MOB system] but having used it in all conditions--including during lots of rain--the system has been flawless.

I bought [the Fell Marine MOB system] after a friend's dad had the steering rod on his bass boat break at 65-MPH. The boat went hard to port, and he was ejected. The boat drove off and he drowned--no PFD.

[Installing a Fell Marine MOB system] seems like common sense to me at this point.

Dave

porthole

Postby porthole » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:37 am

UPDATE:

In Fall 2020, I installed another man-overboard (MOB) kit. I now have the MOB+ on my new to me boat with twin outboards. The installation was much the same as above, but I did have to add the $20 twin engine wire harness adapter.

The operation of the new device was as flawless as my previous device. I'm still running mostly alone and now out of a different inlet. For me this is a great safety item that really shines working the deck alone while trolling.

Fell Marine has now partnered with 1stMate with a similar and much more expensive but feature product. They are offering incentives for those with MOB's to move up, but as much as I would like to try it and not open to leaving a 2-1/16-inch diameter hole in my console.

https://www.1stmate.net/content/firstMate/us/en/home.html
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:54 pm

Duane's revival of this discussion coincides nicely with FELL MARINE receiving recognition from National Boating Industry Safety Awards, the Sea Tow Foundation, and its North American Sober Skipper Advisory Council. FELL MARINE was recognized in the 2020 "Top Gear and Equipment Manufacturer" category for "the best boating safety work in the for-profit section of the recreational boating industry."

The Norwegian company and its U.S. subsidiary were specifically cited for "outstanding demonstrations on their website to educate customers on how to install and use a wireless man-overboard device."

More information is in the announcement from the award givers. See

https://images.saymedia-content.com/.image/cs_srgb/MTc5MTMzODEwMTI4OTg3ODk2/fell-marine-wins-national-boating-industry-safety-awards.pdf

southshore fisherman

Postby southshore fisherman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:47 am

On a forum for Arima boats, a member talked to Fell and was able to get a 15% discount for that boat brand's owners.

It would be nice if FELL MARINE would do that for Boston Whaler owners, too.