The Ultimate in Boat Launching
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:00 am
by jimh
MINN-KOTA has a commercial that demonstrates their remote-controlled electric trolling motor being used in a novel manner: to pilot the boat off the trailer at a launching ramp and over to a courtesy dock with no one onboard, all under remote control. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ejwRj9t1Q&feature=youtu.beI don't know that you could use this at every ramp and launch situation, but it certainly is a fun concept.
Re: The Ultimate in Boat Launching
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:53 am
by porthole
Hmm--since the Lowrance pilot will, according to the manual, keep a boat on station using a linked trolling motor, this is certainly on the cool factor. I don't think it would work so well on my 5,000-lbs T-top equipped 21-foot boat, but it sure would make launching and recovery a whole easier single-handed.
Re: The Ultimate in Boat Launching
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:53 am
by Jefecinco
Porthole--I suspect the 55-lbs-thrust trolling motor would maintain your boat on station in most conditions when you would be launching it.
Re: The Ultimate in Boat Launching
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:01 pm
by porthole
Jefecinco wrote:I suspect the 55-lbs-thrust trolling motor would maintain your boat on station in most conditions when you would be launching it.
It just might, but I would probably need a bow and stern unit. Kind of a narrow fairway with limited room at the ramp.