Page 1 of 1

Remote Battery Switch 36-Volt Rating

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 am
by Boat_Fun_123
I am interested in finding A Remote Battery Switche, similar the Blue Sea 7000, that can switch simple on-off for 36-Volts and under 100 Amperes. Blue Sea Systems have the 12 and 24 Volt versions. I like Blue Sea's design because they draw no current while in the bi-stable state of on or off, but only draw current when changing states. That is why I don't want a simple relay or solenoid.

Thanks,
Scott

Re: Battery Remote Switch

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:07 pm
by jimh
Check BEP line. Their battery switches are rated for 48-Volt. Maybe they have a remote switch with similar rating.

I am not too keen on a LATCH-ON switch--how do you shut off the circuit if there is a problem with the switch?

Re: Remote Battery Switch 36-Volt Rating

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:15 pm
by Boat_Fun_123
Jim,
It's understandable you'd ask that question. These particular 12 and 24 volt Remote Battery Switches also have a mechanical on/off at the switch to manual connect/disconnect.

Scott

Re: Remote Battery Switch 36-Volt Rating

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:54 am
by InVision
I am not totally sure I understand. But for 36V trolling motors which have a 60 AMP capacity we use a normal 12v switch and a 60 amp relay near TM. That way we don't have to run big expensive wire to the console.

I apologize if I am not understanding what your looking for.

M

Re: Remote Battery Switch 36-Volt Rating

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:12 am
by Jefecinco
BoatFun said he didn't want to use a relay.

Re: Remote Battery Switch 36-Volt Rating

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:25 am
by InVision
Yes sir. I understand

Re: Remote Battery Switch 36-Volt Rating

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:59 pm
by jimh
Somewhat tangential to the topic of where to get a remote battery switch that can handle 36-Volts at 100-Amperes and has no current demand for operating its switch action except when changing states: why is such a remote controlled switch needed on a small boat?

I can understand how on a large boat one might have a helm station that was a great distance from the battery bank providing the 36-Volts at 100-Amperes, but on a smaller boat, I cannot imagine you could get very far away from those batteries and a manual switch controlling them.

Also: how long will the circuit providing the 36-Volts and 100-Amperes be energized? If the batteries are supplying 100-Amperes at 36-Volts, the current needed to hold in the coil of a relay would only be a miniscule fraction of the total load, probably less than 1-Ampere at 12-Volts, or about 0.3-percent of the total load on the battery bank. What application would be so critical that adding 0.3-percent to the total load would make a significant difference in performance?