Laptop for navigation on a 12 volt boat
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:49 pm
I'm still investigating a 1990 Boston Whaler 31 for purchase. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=223
The boat does not have a GPS, but old 1990 Furuno electronics (1830 radar, fathometer, CB radio(!)). A stand alone GPS wold be great and from the link above, it looks like I could connect radar, fatho, etc. to it. I could get a used one for $500 and a new fancy unit for many thousands. Easy to mount in the overhead electronics box, but limited in screen size.
But talking to some folks around here, they're saying get a laptop with a much bigger screen and run the chart software from that. Several drawbacks to the laptop, won't fit in the electronics box and must be secured to the dash somewhere, needs a mouse(?), not marinized.
How does a laptop computer use a 12 volt system on a boat?
Thanks in advance.
JimP
The boat does not have a GPS, but old 1990 Furuno electronics (1830 radar, fathometer, CB radio(!)). A stand alone GPS wold be great and from the link above, it looks like I could connect radar, fatho, etc. to it. I could get a used one for $500 and a new fancy unit for many thousands. Easy to mount in the overhead electronics box, but limited in screen size.
But talking to some folks around here, they're saying get a laptop with a much bigger screen and run the chart software from that. Several drawbacks to the laptop, won't fit in the electronics box and must be secured to the dash somewhere, needs a mouse(?), not marinized.
How does a laptop computer use a 12 volt system on a boat?
Thanks in advance.
JimP