Effect of Einstein's Theory of Relativity on GPS
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:22 am
I was listing to an interview with an astro-physicist being broadcast on the radio a few days ago. Regarding a question of how astro-physics affects everyday life, she cited the instance of the Global Positioning System. Were it not for consideration of Einstein's Theories of Relativity, she said, the position accuracy of GPS would be no better than about six miles. This startled me a bit, as I did not think the error would be so large. I searched for another opinion. The radio-interviewee's opinion was confirmed by an article I found called Real-world Relativity: The GPS Navigation System. The author is a professor of Astronomy at Ohio State University.
I found this example of space-time relativity to quite interesting. I did not realize that the accuracy of GPS position solutions depended upon making compensation for such effects. Perhaps other readers will enjoy the brief summary of the influences. I found it a very interesting read. The article contains may hypertext links to more material about this phenomenon.
I found this example of space-time relativity to quite interesting. I did not realize that the accuracy of GPS position solutions depended upon making compensation for such effects. Perhaps other readers will enjoy the brief summary of the influences. I found it a very interesting read. The article contains may hypertext links to more material about this phenomenon.