Humminbird Side Image Transducer Installation on MONTAUK

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Psiena

Humminbird Side Image Transducer Installation on MONTAUK

Postby Psiena » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:43 am

Has anyone here successfully installed a Humminbird SI [side image] transom-mount transducer on a classic Boston Whaler MONTAUK boat? In particular a XNT 9 SI 180 T or XHS 9 HDSI 180 T? I just got a Helix 9 SI unit. I want to anticipate problems with this kind of SONAR, which can be quite finicky. Most of what I have read comes from the Walleye gurus whose optimal setup in times of trouble is to mount dual SI transducers, one to the left and one to the right of the outboard engine, and connect then with a Y-cable (AS SI DBY) provided by Humminbird. No switch required, they say.

From my current research I have concluded that the two areas I know I need to watch are:

--line-of-sight obstacles to the side imaging, usually the outboard engine itself if it is not mounted on a jack plate; my E-TEC 90-HP is not mounted on a jack place. The motor could be raised a bit at slow speed trolling, and/or two transducers can be installed left and right of the engine;

--a second: bottom echo readings at speed; where the prior XNT 9 20 T transducer would have read fine, the newer SI transducer can get a little rough. Of course. some of those fellas said it was only after they got over 40-MPH or faster that they had problem. I would be content with good readings from 25 to 30-MPH.

The current older transducer is on port side at the classic spot this forum recommends, and works okay there.

I am seeking ACTUAL experience with these newer SI transducer on an older MONTAUK 17; replies would be most appreciated.