Rule Automatic Bilge Pump

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Ducktown

Rule Automatic Bilge Pump

Postby Ducktown » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:39 am

Here's a fun one: the automatic water sensor feature of my Rule 500 GPH bilge pump stopped working. With the pump completely submerged, it will not automatically activate. I use the three-way Rule toggle switch for the pump with the following positions: auto to the left, off in the middle, and spring-loaded, manual to the right. When holding the toggle in the manual position the pump works.

My local marina suggested disconnecting and reconnecting the power as this might reset the pump's automatic sensor—it didn't.

I then replaced the pump.

The new pump still didn't operate on the automatic setting, but does operate on manual.

I then replaced the switch. Still no automatic function.

Now with over $100 into the project (and full redundancy in the spare pump and switch department), deductive reasoning suggests that the bundled, three wire cable running from the switch to the pump has a disruption in only the wire that powers the pump's automatic function.

The portion of the cable that I can see shows no evidence of wear. The cable runs through the continually wet, in-floor wiring channel in my 1987 Montauk 17. I have had the boat since 2010 and have no idea how long the cabling has been in service.

[Proposed a survey—please to not propose surveys. If you are seeking advice, please just ask for advice—Moderator]

Waterfun

Re: Rule Automatic Bilge Pump

Postby Waterfun » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:58 am

[This thread is revived after being dormant for about three years to ask the originaL poster a question:]

What was your fix?

I have the same behavior on my boat with a RULE 500 automatic.

The circuit breaker is good.

I re-wired the wiring to the box in the bilge—still no remedy.

The pump works [with the control switch held in the MANUAL position].

I will hate to spend $70 on a new RULE pump if [a bad pump is not the cause of the problem].

jimh

Re: Rule Automatic Bilge Pump

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:31 am

If you need advice on how to better diagnose the cause of an electrical problem, you are welcome to ask all readers for a reply. Asking the thread starter almost three years later may not elicit a response.