Eight Questions on Power Distribution and Control Wiring
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:28 pm
[Another article found on this website on the topic of refurbishing power distribution was] very helpful.
Q1: What wire insulation color is appropriate to run to the [navigation lighting circuits]?
I [think I] would use gray for the positive and yellow for negative. I am not sure there is a duplex cable with that pairing.
I see some installers use daisy-chain wiring connections and others use home-run wiring for the [separate sidelight lamps] [as found, for example, on a Boston Whaler] Outrage.
Q2: is there a best practice?
Q3: same question for the pole lamps used for Masthead and Sternlight navigation lighting.
As for switches [for controlling navigation lighting] I'm guessing the forward navigation lights would be on a single switch and the console and stern pole lamps (all-arounds) would be on another switch together.
Q4: Is my guess correct?
I'm planning to install three bilge pumps. One for the forward fish box--that plug is difficult to reach--a second for the pump in the fuel tank cavity, and a third for the aft bait well pump.
Q5: should there be independent switches for these?
Q6: or should I just gang all three on one switch? Assuming the load is okay.
Q7: For the wire, [is] the Ancor three-conductor 16-AWG cable sufficient?
Q8: I notice in the original post a reference to Violet wire color but that insulation isn't available from Ancor. Should I change VIOLET to an existing insulation color?
Thanks--Sean
Q1: What wire insulation color is appropriate to run to the [navigation lighting circuits]?
I [think I] would use gray for the positive and yellow for negative. I am not sure there is a duplex cable with that pairing.
I see some installers use daisy-chain wiring connections and others use home-run wiring for the [separate sidelight lamps] [as found, for example, on a Boston Whaler] Outrage.
Q2: is there a best practice?
Q3: same question for the pole lamps used for Masthead and Sternlight navigation lighting.
As for switches [for controlling navigation lighting] I'm guessing the forward navigation lights would be on a single switch and the console and stern pole lamps (all-arounds) would be on another switch together.
Q4: Is my guess correct?
I'm planning to install three bilge pumps. One for the forward fish box--that plug is difficult to reach--a second for the pump in the fuel tank cavity, and a third for the aft bait well pump.
Q5: should there be independent switches for these?
Q6: or should I just gang all three on one switch? Assuming the load is okay.
Q7: For the wire, [is] the Ancor three-conductor 16-AWG cable sufficient?
Q8: I notice in the original post a reference to Violet wire color but that insulation isn't available from Ancor. Should I change VIOLET to an existing insulation color?
Thanks--Sean