Universal NMEA-0183 Interconnection Method
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:45 am
Several years ago I developed a very useful method of interconnecting NMEA-0183 serial data interfaces using a five-pole connector wiring arrangement and a simple-to-construct interface backplane. The connectors and backplane were very inexpensive and very easily obtained.
For the past five years I have employed this method for wiring all the NMEA-0183 ports on all the devices I own that have such a port. This method has enable me to easily interconnect any NMEA-0183 device with another without having to re-engineer the wiring of the interface for any individual connection. The method fully accommodates the ten possible interface situations involving ports of differential signals and single-ended signal--it is a truly universal approach.
I also wrote an article five years ago to describe in great detail the development and implementation of the method. See
Universal NMEA-0183 Interface
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... A0183.html
The article points to this thread and invites readers to use it for posting comments or questions. I will be glad to answer any questions regarding the universal NMEA-0183 wiring method I have developed.
For the past five years I have employed this method for wiring all the NMEA-0183 ports on all the devices I own that have such a port. This method has enable me to easily interconnect any NMEA-0183 device with another without having to re-engineer the wiring of the interface for any individual connection. The method fully accommodates the ten possible interface situations involving ports of differential signals and single-ended signal--it is a truly universal approach.
I also wrote an article five years ago to describe in great detail the development and implementation of the method. See
Universal NMEA-0183 Interface
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... A0183.html
The article points to this thread and invites readers to use it for posting comments or questions. I will be glad to answer any questions regarding the universal NMEA-0183 wiring method I have developed.