Control INFINITY Amplifier from Garmin 94sv

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
ferdinando

Control INFINITY Amplifier from Garmin 94sv

Postby ferdinando » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 am

I have a Garmin 94sv Plus hooked to my boat's NMEA-2000 network. I recently purchased an Infinity marine stereo which has NMEA-2000 capability. I connected the stereo to my NMEA-2000 network, but nothing can bee seen on my chart plotter. There are no displays nor any of the stereo's information.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks--Fred

jimh

Re: Control INFINITY Amplifier from Garmin 94sv

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:13 pm

Your expectations are too high. Just because two devices can both be connected to a NMEA-2000 network does not mean that one device from a particular manufacturer can connect and interact or control another device from a different manufacturer. Unless a device explicitly indicates it is designed to be able to provide remote control of another manufacturer's device, there is no basis to assume it would be able to accomplish that function.

A device designated as NMEA-2000 compatible means you can connect it to a NMEA-2000 network without danger to the network.

However, if you are just describing a situation where a NETWORK DIAGNOSTIC tool on one manufacturer's network device fails to see the network interface of another manufacturer's network device, there could be several explanations:

--the other device is not actually on the network

--the device with the NETWORK DIAGNOSTIC tool is not designed to see devices from other manufacturers

--one or both devices fail to adhere to the NMEA-2000 standard

ferdinando

Infinity Marine Stereo NMEA 2000

Postby ferdinando » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:45 am

My marine stereo recently passed away so wanting to replace same I shopped around for a new unit. As I have a Garmin 9" sv94 Plus connected to my NMEA-2000 system I wanted a radio which I could also hook up and view through the Garmin.

I purchased an Infinity MBB4030 which was advertised as NMEA 2000 ready for $340.

To my surprise after hookup nothing was displayed on my Garmin screen. After a few phone calls I was advised that this unit is not compatible with Garmin products.

How is this possible?

If it's all connected to the NMEA system, isn't it supposed to work? Any input is appreciated. Thanks. Fred

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:37 am

FRED— your second thread on this topic has been merged with the first thread.

jimh

Re: Infinity Marine Stereo NMEA 2000

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:40 am

ferdinando wrote:How is this possible?

If it's all connected to the NMEA system, isn't it supposed to work?

Your assumption that simply on the basis that two devices have a NMEA-2000 interface will mean the two devices will inter-operate so that one device can control a second device is not correct.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:47 am

Fred - Can the new Infinity be controlled by a smart phone? Though not as convenient when underway the phone could be more convenient during other activities on or nearby the boat.
Butch