Solar charger for small boats
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:41 am
I have mentioned it several times in posts that I have used small solar chargers for 10 years now to keep my batteries topped off. I figured I would show the one I have had the best service from and explain why. I like the NOCO 2.5 watt model and it is also available in a 5 watt version. I paid about $25 for it recently but I have found it for $20. I am on my third one since I have gotten clumsy in my old age and these have glass screens-- so don't drop them. It has suction cups to stick to a windshield, or reversed to stick on the back of my console when I'm underway. At the dock I stick it to my bench seat facing the sun. It has several wiring options with a waterproof quick disconnect. I chose to hard-wire it to my battery so it is charging at all times when the sun is up. It has a diode so it will not discharge at night. It is ignition protected so starting the motor while connected will not harm it. It is fairly waterproof out of the box, but they recommend you seal around the screen edge with silicone for prolonged outdoor use. I did that and so far no problems. My latest model has an LED in the connector to show if it is charging. My battery has always [powered a pump that] pumped out the rainwater and I have never found my battery too drained to start the motor. If you keep your boat at a mooring, the solar charger would be the best way to keep your batteries charged.

