36-Volt 5-HP Outboard Motor

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
JosephTaylor

36-Volt 5-HP Outboard Motor

Postby JosephTaylor » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:37 am

I’ve been tasked with finding ideas for an outboard motor that is fully battery operated. We are trying to find a motor of 36V that can push 5-6 Horsepower minimum. This is for a college engineering boating event called Solar Splash. Any help or suggestions appreciated. The reason we are trying not to use two 24V or a 48V is for the sake of maximum efficiency.

jimh

Re: 36-Volt 5-HP Outboard Motor

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:30 pm

Q1: Do you want to just find ideas?

Q2: Or do you want to find a commercial-off-the-shelf 36-Volt 5-HP outboard motor?

If the latter, consider the TORQEEDO Cruise 2.0 RS. The engine consumes 2,000-Watts input power and produces the same thrust as a 5-HP gasoline engine. The TORQEEDO Cruise 2.0 RS operates from a 25.9-Volts. TORQEEDO offers their model Power 24-3500, a 25.9-Volt battery with 3,500-Watt-Hours using Lithium technology and a integral battery management system.

These are well-designed products, and they are priced accordingly:

Cruise 2.0 RS = $4,000
Power 24-3500 = $3,000

If you just want ideas, study the TORQEEDO line of electric motor outboard engines. They are a viable, commercial product with a good track record and an increasing market.

I doubt the average boater is going to come up with something especially more suitable than TORQEEDO has already.

Q3: What is the basis for the assumption that a 36-Volt battery will be the most efficient for an electric propulsion motor? I am surmising the answer may have something to do with your mention that the power for recharging may be from Photo-voltaic cells. I would like to understand the reason that 36-Volts will be more efficient than 24- or 48-Volts.