1999 Johnson 130-HP Outboard Gauges

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Jes1957

1999 Johnson 130-HP Outboard Gauges

Postby Jes1957 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:30 am

Where can I find gauges for a 1999 Johnson 130-HP outboard engine?

This is my first time on Continuouswave. I also have 1999 Dauntless 18
Thanks for any help

John

jimh

Re: 1999 Johnson 130-HP Outboard Gauges

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:55 am

For traditional analogue outboard engine gauges, there is very little that is specific to a particular brand, model year, and horsepower. The usual gauges for an outboard engine are:

• Tachometer
  • Trim position
  • Engine Temperature
  • Battery Voltage
  • Cooling Water pressure
  • Speedometer

The tachometer is somewhat specific to the engine, but more universal tachometers are available that come with a setting switch to match the gauge calibration to the engine.

The trim position gauge is generally specific to the brand of engine, but most brands use the same sender in all models, years, and horsepower. If you get an Evinrude/Johnson trim gauge, it will work with almost any model and horsepower.

A temperature gauge is specifically calibrated to its temperature sender, but usually they are sold together. The temperature sender may be specific to a particular outboard engine because it will be threaded to fit into a threaded boss on the engine block.

The battery voltage gauge is completely universal. It is just a voltmeter that reads in the 12-Volt range.

The cooling water pressure gauge is usually connected by a hose into some port on the cooling system. The gauge and hose are not engine specific. Sometimes you need to get a particular hose barb fitting to thread into a port on the cooling system.

The speedometer is usually a Pitot tube gauge, and actually makes no connection at all to the engine, unless the engine has provided a speedometer Pitot tube port in the gear case.

Your local Evinrude dealer can assist you in finding gauges for a Johnson engine; the Johnson brand is no longer being marketed by Bombardier Recreational Products, who took over the OMC brands about 20-years ago.

There are also many aftermarket outboard engine gauges available from all marine vendors. Check on-line at Defender.com. Visit:

https://search.defender.com/?expression=Eng040C

You can often find older OEM-branded outboard engine gauges for sale on-line at sites like AMAZON or eBAY.

The size of the gauges is generally universal, and the mounting holes are generally the same across all brands.

A principal manufacturer of marine gauges is FARIA-BEEDE. See their website at

https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/prod_display.php?calledGauge=boxset

Gauges are available in a wide variety of gauge face styles and colors. There is really no problem in finding traditional analogue gauges. The great number and variety of gauges available is overwhelming and may make the choice difficult.

Jes1957

Postby Jes1957 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Thank you. I really appreciate your comments. You are very knowledgeable--unlike myself--in that department. I will check the resources you mentioned. I really appreciate your time.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:57 am

A follow-up on the cooling water pressure gauge: some engines have a very high PSI range for the cooling water and others have a low PSI range. You may want to pick a gauge whose dial face range of pressure readings matches the engine's typical cooling water pressure. This can vary within a particular brand by different models and horsepower. For example, my Evinrude E-TEC V6 3.3-liter cooling water pressure is not expected to exceed 25-PSI, but another E-TEC V6 model with the 2.7-liter block might reach 40-PSI. The difference is due to the design of the cooling system.