Using Steel Instead of Copper for Electrical Power Distribution
Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:08 am
I'm powering a small boat with a trolling motor that is powered two small 12-volt AGM batteries. I have used Attwood automotive-style circuit breakers. I'm using two plain-old 90-degree corner-braces to connect the vertical battery terminals to the circuit breakers that rest on top of the batteries. These corner braces and connecting bolts, washers, and nuts are regular, hardware-store, zinc-plated pieces-- not copper, aluminum or anything usually used for electrical connections.
I know there are items specifically made for this purpose, but due to time constraints I used what I had on hand and it seems to work. The voltage reads the same from the terminals to the load end of the circuit breakers. The trolling motor runs fine and the batteries are holding up well. Rust or corrosion isn't a concern as this boat is for occasional fresh-water use only.
Although this works, however jury-rigged it may be, am I doing something fundamentally wrong by not using copper or aluminum? This almost seems too simple and easy.
Thanks for any insights. I apologize for my ignorance. I'm new to this.
I know there are items specifically made for this purpose, but due to time constraints I used what I had on hand and it seems to work. The voltage reads the same from the terminals to the load end of the circuit breakers. The trolling motor runs fine and the batteries are holding up well. Rust or corrosion isn't a concern as this boat is for occasional fresh-water use only.
Although this works, however jury-rigged it may be, am I doing something fundamentally wrong by not using copper or aluminum? This almost seems too simple and easy.
Thanks for any insights. I apologize for my ignorance. I'm new to this.