Shore Power to Ventura 210 for use in Europe

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
pred02

Shore Power to Ventura 210 for use in Europe

Postby pred02 » Sun May 31, 2020 9:26 am

Hi. I plan to add a two-bank battery charger to our Ventura 210. The rationale for this is we usually end up running for short runs insufficient to have the batteries fully charged. While operating a new entertainment loudspeaker amplifier and other electronics running at anchor we end up running the boat quite a bit.

The boat is in Croatia and we have shore power at the marina.

Recommend an external power inlet part to add to the Ventura. IMPORTANT NOTE: he boat is in Europe so the [electrical connector] may be different [than electrical connectors use for marine shore power in the U.S.A.).

Thanks

Jefecinco

Re: Shore Power to Ventura 210 for use in Europe

Postby Jefecinco » Sun May 31, 2020 10:09 am

When I was in Europe the domestic power supplied was single-phase 50-Hz 220 Volt-AC, which I believe was pretty standard everywhere. If that is true of the shore power available at your marina at the very least a charger compatible with the power available will be required unless a step down 220 to 115 volt transformer is used. To avoid complications look for a European marine battery charger that meets your needs.
Butch

pred02

Re: Charger

Postby pred02 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:16 am

Does this charger work? It has input AC 120-240V, 50hz, 60hz.

https://www.promariner.com/en/~/media/i ... -49934.pdf

jimh

Re: Charger

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:50 pm

The link you provided is for literature that covers many models. Only certain models listed operate on 220-VAC and 50-Hz. Those models use a model designator with "GLOBAL" at the end of the product designator.

jimh

Re: Shore Power to Ventura 210 for use in Europe

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Even for a standard voltage (220-VAC single-phase) and standard frequency (50-Hz) the type of electrical connector used varies with the country and sometimes varies within the country. For that reason, I don't think it is practical to install a permanent bulkhead mounted electrical connector in the hull superstructure for use with a large shore power cord.

It is not clear to me what sort of electrical connector will be supplied with the battery charger you plan to use, since we don't have any information about the electrical connector in the literature you pointed to. The illustrations all show standard NEMA 120-Vac 60-Hz single phase connectors as used in the USA.

As suggested in the literature you pointed to, the manufacturer gives recommendations about use of an extension cord and use of proper grounding and Ground-Fault-Interrupting (GFI) outlets. In Europe there may be completely different requirements for boat electrical shore power connections than those given by the device manufacturer.

Will this battery charger be the ONLY AC-power operated device on the boat? If yes, the powering it with an extension cord with GFI protection to whatever sort of shore power outlet is available would likely be a good solution.