Page 1 of 1

Custom Radar Mount

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:56 pm
by conch
I decided to replace my old Furuno 1621 Mark-2 radar with a Garmin 24xHD. I soon realized that the mounting holes were different. I did not want four new holes in the hardtop, so that meant I needed a custom mount. The new radar dome would also interfere with the existing all-round white lamp, the Garmin 19x GPS receiver, and new spotlight. I needed to have the dome raised 4-inches with a rear angled riser. The mount needed a light pole, with a Furuno 160-mm square bolt pattern at the bottom and a Garmin pattern for the top plate. My forward down angle required 4-deg.

The local price for this was $400 without any finish on the mount and I would have to supply scaled drawings.

Instead I called Specialty Marine Products (615-208-5002), spoke to the owner, and heard the comforting word "no problem." They had the patterns for Furuno and Garmin and this would be finished in white and shipped in three days for $200. I received the mount, and all looks good for the installation. I'm still deciding whether to run the power cable all the way to the battery (fishing thru the hardtop legs again) or use the factory bus bar for electronics in the hardtop.

Chuck

IMG_2777.jpg
IMG_2777.jpg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 6023 times

Re: Custom Radar Mount

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:07 pm
by jimh
For a built-to-custom order, I think the price is extremely reasonable.

Re: Custom Radar Mount

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:04 pm
by porthole
jimh wrote:For a built-to-custom order, I think the price is extremely reasonable.


Sure is.

What will the clamp be for?

Re: Custom Radar Mount

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:36 am
by conch
The clamp is for the light pole and it can be lowered for bridge clearance if needed. The white light pole is included.
Chuck