Dual Battery Controls and Configuration

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
moabelite

Dual Battery Controls and Configuration

Postby moabelite » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:35 pm

Our recently purchased 1996 Boston Whaler Outrage 24 boat is equipped with separate battery switches for the port battery and starboard battery. See attached photo for reference. My efforts to understand the proper operational position for these two switches have been unsuccessful up to this point and I am soliciting feedback from the Continuous Wave community accordingly.
Initially my intuition was to run with both switches set to “all” but the panel clearly warns against that. Next, I tried running with the port battery set to “1” and the starboard battery set to “2”. Set this way, only one of the engines will trim. I then reversed the settings and found that the other motor would trim but not the first. This led me to conclude that my port battery is dead. However, when I switch both controls to “1” both engines will trim and when I set both switches to “2” neither engine will trim. This led me to believe that I may not be properly understanding the configuration I am working with. The diagram provided in the original BW manual only references a single switch configuration for dual batteries and is thusly not particularly helpful.
We hope to make our maiden voyage this weekend and I would like to replace a faulty battery before heading out if that is indeed the culprit.
Any insights would be much obliged.
Thanks!
Dan
Attachments
IMG_3099.jpg
IMG_3099.jpg (104.1 KiB) Viewed 6068 times

moabelite

Re: Dual Battery Controls For Dual Battery Configuration On 1996 24' BW Outrage

Postby moabelite » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:03 am

Morning All,
Got out the meter out last night and have concluded the following:
- Starboard and Port batteries both tested over 12 volts
- Never dropped below 10 volts when starting...
- The "All" setting parallels the batteries, presumably for emergency starting. Placard warns against operating in this position (which is new to me) I would love feedback on how you run.
- The "1" setting on each battery seems to connect it to the respective engine for running. 1 on the port energizes the port engine. 1 on the starboard energizes the starboard engine.
All seems to be operating properly and both engines fired up smoothly. Hopefully it will be a good maiden voyage this weekend!

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:35 pm

Make sure the negative terminals of each of the two batteries are connected to each other.

moabelite

Postby moabelite » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:02 pm

Thank You, Jim! Will verify.

jimh

Re: Dual Battery Controls and Configuration

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:23 am

See my article on dual battery rigging for twin engines in the REFERENCE section of the website:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... ttery.html

A schematic diagram is shown that is typical for Boston Whaler boats with twin engines and two batteries.

moabelite

Postby moabelite » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:33 am

Thank you, Jim.
Your article and diagrams are extremely helpful. Much more robust information and clearer detail than the factory manual, actually.

My understanding of the 1 and 2 positions is now much clearer. Looking forward to launching her for the first time tomorrow.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:16 pm

Re-reading your initial narrative, the condition of the #2 battery does sound suspect.

Measure the battery voltage when both battery switches are in the OFF position and measure right at the battery terminals on the battery itself.