Page 1 of 1

To Solder, or to not Solder

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:15 pm
by jimh
Should wire connections on a boat be soldered? You can get a very wide range of opinions about this. Let's see what the American Boat and Yacht Council recommends; they're a recognized source of authority, and their recommendations are incorporated in federal regulations--that's why you can see them on-line at no cost.

Reviewing the ABYC document E-9 DIRECT CURRENT (DC) ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS ON BOATS and searching for the term solder, it occurs only a few times. Here are some applicable sections:

From E-9.16 INSTALLATION, Section k., Wiring Connections:

(8) Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit.

EXCEPTION: Battery lugs with a solder contact length of not less than 1.5 times the
diameter of the conductor.


That's it for solder. No where in the ABYC recommendation will you find any advice to not use solder on a boat for electrical connections. Take a moment to ponder this: if solder were not to be used in a marine environment, how would all our modern electronic devices be assembled? They're all full of electrical connections made with solder.

Re: To Solder, or to not Solder

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:06 am
by porthole
The problem with soldering connections may be tied to the inability for the average person to make a proper solder joint.
Crimp connectors are fast and secure, especially when using marine grade products.

Can you imagine the cost of labor increase if the ABYC required all wiring connections be soldered?

Electronics and their circuit boards are another breed of animal. How many are still done by hand?

Re: To Solder, or to not Solder

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:26 am
by Don McIntyre - MI
(8) Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit.


Crimping plus soldering sounds a little excessive. But that's just me...

Re: To Solder, or to not Solder

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:45 am
by jimh
Apparently NASA is still using solder; here is their training manual on how to hand solder electronic connections:

https://www.protostack.com/download/NAS ... dering.pdf

I don't know who the typical boater is these days. Is he a plumber that uses acid core solder? Heck, even in plumbing these days they've taken solder out of the connections--avoiding the lead, I guess.

Re: To Solder, or to not Solder

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:18 am
by porthole
jimh wrote:Heck, even in plumbing these days they've taken solder out of the connections--avoiding the lead, I guess.


Lead - leaks and fires !

Re: To Solder, or to not Solder

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:01 pm
by Oldslowandugly
I crimp and solder everything. I believe they say not to rely on just solder because if a high resistance heats up the connector, the solder could melt and break the circuit. I also only use marine grade wire, and ring connectors, never fork connectors. After soldering, I seal with neoprene liquid electric tape, then shrink wrap, then more neoprene, then regular electric tape, then a final neoprene seal. I like water based neoprene best. It takes longer to cure, but is tougher. Excessive? Maybe- but I have never had an electrical failure.