Micro Booster or Second Starting Batteries

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Jefecinco

Micro Booster or Second Starting Batteries

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:58 am

For the past few years I've been keeping a micro booster battery aboard rather than try to install a second starting battery on our Sport 13. I've never had to use it as the "big" battery has never failed to start the engine.

Three days ago the original battery on our 2014 Ram pickup failed even after charging. Yesterday I tried starting the 5.7 liter V8 engine using our new NOCO micro booster battery. It worked as advertised and allowed us to drive to a parts store where the original battery was replaced.

I was pleased with the NOCO and it is very easy to use. It includes a plug that allows the use of a 12 volt convenience outlet on a vehicle or boat to recharge via an included USB cable. It can also be used as a power source or battery charger for any USB powered device and has a strong built-in flashlight to facilitate jump starting in the dark.

I recommend the NOCO for use as an auxiliary battery on small weight sensitive boats although it is advertised as being capable of starting virtually any gasoline engine used on Boston Whaler boats.
Butch

Don SSDD

Re: Micro Booster or Second Starting Batteries

Postby Don SSDD » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:28 am

I have one of these, the small size and small weight makes them very convenient to store and carry around and they are very easy to use. In the storage case, they are about the size amd weight of a 2 inch thick paperback book.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia