Minn Kota i-Pilot Wiring

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
pweeks1

Minn Kota i-Pilot Wiring

Postby pweeks1 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:13 pm

I have purchased a Minn Kota Fresh Water Terrova electric trolling motor Model 135884 with i-pilot Link . I plan to buy a Huminbird HELIX 7 or 8.

Most trolling motors are installed on bass boats or aluminum boats. Their wiring runs through rubber grommets.

The trolling motor has a six-inch-long lead at the mount. To that a 20-foot extension cable can be connected.

I want to be able to remove the trolling motor from the 170 MONTAUL and still maintain a clean look without a long chunk of wire dangling around when not in use.

Q1: How can wires be run between the trolling motor and the HELIX 7 or HELIX 8 on a 170 MONTAUK [so that when the trolling motor is removed there will not be long cables left in place and captivated in a Blue Sea Systems cable clam]?

I may modify the (existing) 12-Volt power port to accommodate this wiring and use a Blue Sea Systems Cable Clam. I would like to be able to easily extend the cable from a hidden compartment when needed, and tuck it away when not in use. I believe the Clam will leave a chuck of wire dangling when not connected to the trolling motor.

Q2: Should I return the Minn Kota trolling motor and order a Garmin FORCE trolling motor? The FORCE will connect to a ELITE 7 or ELITE 8 wirelessly.

BACKSTORY: have a 2015 170 Montauk. I have converted the power for the trolling motor to 24-Volts from the original 12-Volts.

A Minn Kota dealer told me that depending on what was going on in the boat, either the the HELIX 7 or HELIX 8 would know to pull information from either the SONAR transducer on the transom or the SONAR transducer on the on trolling motor .

jimh

Re: MinnKota i-Pilot Link to Humminbird HELIX 7 or HELIX 8

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:59 am

pweeks1 wrote:Q1: How can wires be run between the trolling motor and the HELIX 7 or HELIX 8 on a 170 MONTAUK [so that when the trolling motor is removed there will not be long cables left in place and captivated in a Blue Sea Systems cable clam]?

Install a connector at the bow for the circuits you need for connecting the trolling motor to the other gear at the console. Wire this connector to the gear in the console using the existing wire conduit to the console. Extend the wiring from the trolling motor only as long as necessary to reach the connector at the bow. When you remove the trolling motor, unplug the trolling motor from the connector at the bow.

pweeks1 wrote:Q2: Should I return the MinnKota trolling motor and order a Garmin FORCE trolling motor? The FORCE will connect to a ELITE 7 or ELITE 8 wirelessly.

I cannot offer any advice on that decision.