SmartCraft Sea Temperature Error

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
sam t

SmartCraft Sea Temperature Error

Postby sam t » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:51 pm

I have a 2009 Outrage 210 with a Mercury VERADO 200-HP engine with SmartCraft gauges. The sea water temperature reading is around 160-degrees-F when in Lake Michigan water. This is a single-engine installation with a Smartcraft Tachometer, Speedometer, and sensor in the paddle wheel. The speed indicator from the paddle wheel is working fine. There is no SmartCraft depth transducer.

Give me a recommendation for a remedy.

Thanks.

Also compare at

https://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003795.html

jimh

Re: SmartCraft Sea Temperature Error

Postby jimh » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:59 am

Perhaps the temperature being displayed is configured for engine cooling water temperature sensor and not from the sea water temperature sensor.

Jefecinco

Re: SmartCraft Sea Temperature Error

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:44 am

I was never happy with the SmartCraft gauges on our 190 Montauk. I decided to spend a few dollars, establish a NMEA-2000 Network, and connect the Verado data to our Multi Function Display (MFD). That allowed all engine and boat data to be displayed on the MFD. The data included the paddle wheel information and the depth sounder information.

The upgrade was easy to accomplish and it was truly a plug and play job. We were very happy with the very easy to read displays. The displays also allowed some reconfiguration for convenience.

I highly recommend the upgrade.
Butch