Navigation Lamps Not Illuminating

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
seamuspg

Navigation Lamps Not Illuminating

Postby seamuspg » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:00 pm

Explain a method for finding the cause of all navigation lamps on a boat failing to illuminate.

Q1: should I try replacing the lightbulb in the combined sidelight lamp and see if that remedies the problem?

Q2: does the entire white all-round pole lamp need replacement/

Q3: where can a replacement lamp for the white all-round lamp be purchased?

Q4: do less navigation lamps exists whose cost will be less than the OEM replacement on my Boston Whaler boat?

BACKSTORY

[Once upon a time] I was coming back from a long day on the water and as the sun set, I placed the white all-round navigation pole lamp into its socket only to find the lamp was not illuminating, nor was the combined sidelight lamp at the bow.

I'm not sure whether the two problems are related from an electrical standpoint, or if they are not functioning for their own independent reasons. I'm not a handyman or an electrician by any means. I need guidance. Thank you

jackjax

Re: Navigation Lamps Not Illuminating

Postby jackjax » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:55 pm

Look for in-line fuse inside the console.
Jude
1997 BW Dauntless 17 115hp Merc

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:20 pm

Since both are not functioning, perform this procedure:
  • Check for a fuse at the switch or on the positive wire
  • Check for power on the back of the switch
  • Check the wire connections on the back of the switch, then remove, clean and reinstall
  • Test for power at the stern pole socket
  • Replace the white all-round lamp light bulb and
  • clean socket
  • Check for power at the combined sidelight lamp light bulb socket, replace lightbulb bulb, clean socket
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:24 am

seamuspg wrote:Explain a method for finding the cause of all navigation lamps on a boat failing to illuminate.
When multiple loads that are energized by a common circuit all simultaneously fail to energize and operate normally, the assumption that the cause for these multiple loads failing must be the amazing coincidence that each load failed on its own simultaneously is not likely to be true. A better assumption is that if multiple devices that depend on electricity to operate and all are powered and controlled by the same circuit suddenly stop working, the cause is probably related to the circuit and to failure of the circuit to energize--to deliver electrical power.

Typically the cause for one circuit to fail to deliver electrical power while other circuits continue to operate normally will be a unintended discontinuity in the circuit. For advice on finding a discontinuity in an electrical circuit, see

Basic Electrical Troubleshooting Procedures for Simple Circuits
https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... f=9&t=7292

seamuspg wrote:Q1: should I try replacing the lightbulb in the combined sidelight lamp and see if that remedies the problem?
Your approach is not likely a good first step. Because all the navigation lamps are operated from one electrical circuit, you should first establish that the circuit is being energized.

seamuspg wrote:Q2: does the entire white all-round pole lamp need replacement?
Probably not. Your approach is not likely a good second step. Because all the navigation lamps are operated from one electrical circuit, you should first establish that the circuit is being energized.

seamuspg wrote:Q3: where can a replacement lamp for the white all-round lamp be purchased?
Generally the easiest source for a replacement navigation lamp will be from an authorized dealer for the manufacturer of the boat. In many instances boat builders will use customized lamp fixtures, so the OEM source may be the only option. If the navigation lamp was at the time the boat was built a consumer-off-the-shelf standard product, and you can locate this consumer-off-the-shelf standard product still for sale, you may be able to purchase a consumer-off-the-shelf standard product as a replacement. But again, until you establish that the cause of the problem is due to a defect in the pole lamp, it seems premature to be buying a replacement lamp.

seamuspg wrote:Q4: do less navigation lamps exists whose cost will be less than the OEM replacement on my 2001 Boston Whaler boat?
There is always a possibility of finding something made in China and sold on Amazon that might work. The cost of navigation lighting products can vary significantly. Proper navigation lamps must be certified to meet the requirement of the COLREGS--the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea. Certainly some crappy lamp made for fifty cents in some hellhole in the Far East might be offered for sale (possibly illegally) by some on-line vendor, but real navigation lamps that have been certified to comply with the international rules are likely to cost a bit more.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:45 am

I can offer a wild guess at what might be the cause of the failure of all navigation lamps to illuminate and which the onset of this problem occurred when the pole lamp for the white all-round light was being installed: a short circuit was created during the installation process, and the over-current protection device for the circuit has opened. If the overcurrent protection device were a fuse, you can replace the fuse and try again. If the overcurrent protection device were a circuit breaker, you can reset the circuit breaker, and try again.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:22 am

seamuspg wrote:I'm not a handyman or an electrician by any means. I need guidance.
In order to perform any sort of diagnosis of an electrical problem, the nature of electricity must be understood. To acquire a basic knowledge of electricity and electrical circuits will require some learning. The forum is not really an appropriate place to teach someone the basics of electricity. I suggest you get a good book written for the purpose of teaching electricity and electrical circuits.