Page 1 of 1

A Reader's Introduction

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:19 pm
by clipperboat
Hello. My name is Carl Smoot and I am building a 21-foot wooden cabin cruiser. I am in the process of researching and designing the electrical system for my boat. I am not only a complete neophyte to electrical design, but also quite limited in my knowledge of boating in general, so please bear with me if I ask or say something stupid in my posts.

I found this forum quite by accident, but it seems to fit exactly into what I am currently doing. I don't want to be simply a sponge and soak up information without eventually returning something to the forum, however, at least initially, my value to the forum will be somewhat limited due to my lack of usable knowledge.

I will try to limit my questions to specific subjects on hopes of keeping the responses targeted. Perhaps in this way I can help others who may have similar questions.

Re: A Reader's Introduction

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:03 pm
by jimh
Hi Carl--Welcome to the SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL forum. There are also articles on boat electrical topics in the REFERENCE section of the website. Browse to

REFERENCE --> Index --> Electrical and Electronic
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/index.html#electricalAndElectronic

to see a listing of reference articles in the general topics of electrical or electronic.

In particular, I recommend you read

Boat Electrical Circuits and Wiring Practices
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/boatWiring.html

and also

Conductor Size for Power Distribution
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/powerConductorSize.html

Re: A Reader's Introduction

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:13 pm
by clipperboat
Thank you Jim,

I will look these over. Never can have too much information in my opinion!