NMEA-0183 Connection Advice
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2024 9:33 am
Q1: what is the wiring to connect make a NMEA-0183 connection between a Simrad NAIS-500 AIS and a Raymarine E80 MFD?
A boating forum for Boston Whaler boats and Marine Electronics
http://continuouswave.com/forum/
Generally in NMEA-0183 using shielded paired cables, the cable screen or shield is only bonded to the device chassis at the TALKER end. At the receiver end, the shield is left floating.tandacht wrote:I believe I have the talker and listener wires correctly wired. What I am unsure of is whether I need to connect the screen from the E80 NMEA 0183 cable to the ground. The NAIS-500 NMEA 0183 cable is connected to the ships ground through the black power wire.
I am not familiar with the two NMEA-0183 sentences you mention.tandacht wrote:…we are seeing odd sentence structure ($AINAK AND $AIVER) in addition to the normal AIS sentence structure (!AIVDO)….Do you have any thoughts on this?
A "$AIVER" NMEA sentence in the context of AIS (Automatic Identification System) indicates a "Receiver Status" message, providing information about the current state of the AIS receiver itself, like its operating mode, data quality, and potential problems it might be experiencing.