Battery Maintenance: Flooded Cell Lead-Acid
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:59 am
I was doing a some maintenance on one of my cars this weekend, a 2011 model year sedan. I noticed that the positive battery terminal had accumulated quite a bit of blueish-white powder around it. I investigated and spent some time cleaning the power.
The blueish-white powder is probably formed as a reaction from some battery venting of acidic electrolyte reacting with the metals of the battery post. I vacuumed most of it away. Then the old-fashioned remedy of mixing some baking soda in water and rinsing the connection removed most of the remaining traces. Then I soaked up all the soda-water I could, vacuumed up the rest, and gave the terminal a good spray with WD-40 (or Water Displacement formula 40).
Although I have owned this car for over five years (since November 2010), I had not looked closely at the battery. It is still the original battery, and I was a bit surprised it was a flooded-cell, vented, lead-acid battery. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised as that is probably the least expensive battery to furnish with a new car. I was expecting a maintenance-free or valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) battery.
This battery has been in service for about 67-months, and I have never checked the electrolyte levels. I pried off the caps and peered into the cells, using a flashlight to illuminate them. The electrolyte was down in level just slightly. I topped off the six cells with distilled water. They only needed perhaps an ounce or two of water to bring them back to full.
I was surprised by several things about this battery, first:
--that is was a vented flooded-cell design; I was not expecting that; next,
--that in 67-months it had hardly lost any electrolyte, and finally,
--that it has grown a rather impressive crop of blueish-white powder on the positive terminal
I should mention that I have looked at the battery in the past. I had sprayed both terminals with CRC TECHNICIAN GRADE BATTERY TERMINAL PROTECTANT, which gives the terminals a coating of a dark red viscous liquid. The negative terminal was in perfect condition; only the positive terminal had the blueish-white powder coat.
The car has about 47,000 miles. If you figure an average speed of about 35-MPH, that suggests about 1,300-hours of operation. And many start cycles. It gets driven daily. Let's figure 67-months × 30-days-per-month = over 2,000 days. And figure at least two engine starts per day, so about 4,000 engine start cycles. In other words, a lot of running time and a lot of start cycles, far more than a boat battery would tend to get in the same time--at least far more than my boat would get.
Also, on this car, the lighting load on the battery is crazy. When you turn the ignition key, about a dozen lamps illuminate. The car body has all kinds of little running lights that come on. The interior has all sorts of little lamps. At first I thought the lamps had LED bulbs, but I see, again probably to save money, that those lamps are all using incandescent bulbs. There is plenty of lighting drain to keep the battery working hard. And the battery is not very big. It's a mid-size sedan and space under the hood is limited. The battery is smaller than the usual GROUP-24 you used to see in your older car.
I was impressed with how well the battery has held up. There has never been any indication of a problem with cranking. However, I have a general rule about batteries and Michigan winters. I usually get a new battery before the sixth winter. This one has been through six winters already. I will probably replace it this fall, just as a precaution. But, for an old technology and very simple lead acid battery, it has been very reliable.
The blueish-white powder is probably formed as a reaction from some battery venting of acidic electrolyte reacting with the metals of the battery post. I vacuumed most of it away. Then the old-fashioned remedy of mixing some baking soda in water and rinsing the connection removed most of the remaining traces. Then I soaked up all the soda-water I could, vacuumed up the rest, and gave the terminal a good spray with WD-40 (or Water Displacement formula 40).
Although I have owned this car for over five years (since November 2010), I had not looked closely at the battery. It is still the original battery, and I was a bit surprised it was a flooded-cell, vented, lead-acid battery. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised as that is probably the least expensive battery to furnish with a new car. I was expecting a maintenance-free or valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) battery.
This battery has been in service for about 67-months, and I have never checked the electrolyte levels. I pried off the caps and peered into the cells, using a flashlight to illuminate them. The electrolyte was down in level just slightly. I topped off the six cells with distilled water. They only needed perhaps an ounce or two of water to bring them back to full.
I was surprised by several things about this battery, first:
--that is was a vented flooded-cell design; I was not expecting that; next,
--that in 67-months it had hardly lost any electrolyte, and finally,
--that it has grown a rather impressive crop of blueish-white powder on the positive terminal
I should mention that I have looked at the battery in the past. I had sprayed both terminals with CRC TECHNICIAN GRADE BATTERY TERMINAL PROTECTANT, which gives the terminals a coating of a dark red viscous liquid. The negative terminal was in perfect condition; only the positive terminal had the blueish-white powder coat.
The car has about 47,000 miles. If you figure an average speed of about 35-MPH, that suggests about 1,300-hours of operation. And many start cycles. It gets driven daily. Let's figure 67-months × 30-days-per-month = over 2,000 days. And figure at least two engine starts per day, so about 4,000 engine start cycles. In other words, a lot of running time and a lot of start cycles, far more than a boat battery would tend to get in the same time--at least far more than my boat would get.
Also, on this car, the lighting load on the battery is crazy. When you turn the ignition key, about a dozen lamps illuminate. The car body has all kinds of little running lights that come on. The interior has all sorts of little lamps. At first I thought the lamps had LED bulbs, but I see, again probably to save money, that those lamps are all using incandescent bulbs. There is plenty of lighting drain to keep the battery working hard. And the battery is not very big. It's a mid-size sedan and space under the hood is limited. The battery is smaller than the usual GROUP-24 you used to see in your older car.
I was impressed with how well the battery has held up. There has never been any indication of a problem with cranking. However, I have a general rule about batteries and Michigan winters. I usually get a new battery before the sixth winter. This one has been through six winters already. I will probably replace it this fall, just as a precaution. But, for an old technology and very simple lead acid battery, it has been very reliable.
