2008 170 MONTAUK Aft Seats

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
BamaBoater

170 Montauk Stern Seats

Postby BamaBoater » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:29 am

For my 2019 170 MONTAUK I want to buy a full-width stern seat or two quarter seats that have a backrest that mount in the rod holders at the transom.

Q1:Who sells these seats?

Q2:What is the cost?

Q3: Could I make my own?

[Moderator's note: deleted three posts that were trying to solicit information about what sort of seat was desired, and re-wrote the initial post to contain the information elicited.]

Phil T

Re: 170 Montauk Stern Seats

Postby Phil T » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:58 pm

There are two rear seating options for the 2018 or newer 170 Montauk II: individual stern quarter seats and a full width seat. These can be ordered from your local dealer. Note the MSRP prices do not include delivery, installation or dealer preparation.

From the Boston Whaler website:

sternSeat-1.jpg
Fig. 1. Stern seat from Boston Whaler. MSRP $3,095.
sternSeat-1.jpg (25.95 KiB) Viewed 7934 times

sternSeat-2.jpg
Fig. 2. Stern seat from Boston Whaler. MSRP $3,095.
sternSeat-2.jpg (28.9 KiB) Viewed 7934 times

sternQuarterSeats.jpg
Fig. 3. Stern quarter seats from Boston Whaler. MSRP $1,708.
sternQuarterSeats.jpg (73.88 KiB) Viewed 7934 times

Note the MSRP prices do not include delivery, installation or dealer preparation.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

BamaBoater

Postby BamaBoater » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:06 pm

PHIL--thank you.

I may buy the two stern quarter seats.

I think the bench seat would be nice if you always had passengers. The bench seat would take up a lot of room. The bench seat would not be handy for swimmers getting in and out from the swim platform.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:31 pm

BamaBoater wrote:...the bench seat would be nice if you always had passengers.

What would be the purpose of either the bench seat or the two quarter seats if you didn’t have passengers?

BamaBoater

Postby BamaBoater » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Sometimes I have several adults on board, and other times it is just my wife and I.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:34 am

BamaBoater wrote:Sometimes I have several adults on board, and other times it is just my wife and I.

If your use of the boat requires more seating than the boat has at present, I don't see that you have an option other than to add more seating.

BamaBoater wrote:The bench seat would not be handy for swimmers getting in and out from the swim platform.

It looks to me like that stern quarter seats backrests would be more of an obstacle to get over in going from the swim platform to the cockpit.

Can the backrest on the full-width stern seat move forward?

BamaBoater wrote:Q3: Could I make my own [seats]?

I don't know what sort of skill you have in making upholstered marine seating, so to determine if you could make your own stern seat for a 170 MONTAUK will be difficult for me to know.

As a general rule, to improve on the design of a Boston Whaler boat and its original factory accessories is difficult. Boston Whaler boats tend to be carefully designed and the OEM components used on them are also carefully designed and crafted. It is possible that someone could create a home-made stern seat that would have a lower cost if the time and labor of designing and building such a seat were not included in the cost, but whether the aesthetic of such a home-made seat would be pleasing and complement the boat aesthetics is impossible to predict.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:28 am

Another option is "bean bag" seating. When you plan to have guests aboard you can put the bean bags aboard and when it's to be two aboard leave them in the garage. It's an inelegant solution but may meet your needs much more economically that the OEM seating option.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:02 am

A3: If I could read the engineer's mind, to use the stern platform, one would remove the backrest and the seat platform and use the step to gain access to the platform.

If it were me and I already had the boat, I would fabricate the rear seats rather than order the parts from the factory. Two options:
  • Ray Martin of Martin Marine Design (http://www.martinmarinedesign.com) or other quality fabricator can make you the seat components. I would add the ability to rotate the seatback posts for easy storage.
  • Have Tena and Dave at Anderson's (http://www.amfg.us) make custom seat cushions and back bolsters that curve over transom lip.

The full width seat is way too large and takes up the small rear deck area and is very heavy, not to mention stupid expensive.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:58 pm

Phil T wrote:...add the ability to rotate the seatback posts for easy storage..
That is a darn good idea. But perhaps hard to implement

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:22 pm

Not my idea actually.

Birdsall Marine offers a leaning post backrest that has folding arms. I took notice of it during a cruise aboard Henry, aka The Yiddil's, Nantucket/Outrage 190 on the Potomac River last year.

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/003440.html
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

BamaBoater

Postby BamaBoater » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:45 pm

I am thinking to make a 3/4-inch-thick wood seat. Then attach or hook or snap-on a throw cushion.

I will make the backrest from teak and have cushions made. I believe I can do this for much less [cost than the Boston Whaler seat].

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:37 am

BamaBoater wrote:I am thinking to makea 3/4-inch-thick wood seat. Then attach or hook or snap-on a throw cushion. I will make the backrest from teak and have cushions made. I believe I can do this for much less [cost than the Boston Whaler seats].

Are you going to make one seat as in the full-width bench seat?

Or, are you going to make two seats, as in the quarter seats?

What do you mean by the term "throw cushion"?

Do you mean something you could use as a life-saving floation device?

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:38 am

Phil T wrote:Birdsall Marine offers a leaning post backrest that has folding arms.

The best view of the leaning post supports is seen at

Fig. 4. Leaning Post with back rest.

The backrest looks like its support tubes are not folding, but they can be turned 90-degrees at some sort of rotating joint at the point of attachment to the back rest. That rotating joint seems like the hard part of the concept to implement on a home-made version. There are also several welds and some quite attractive bends. Bending and welding aluminum tubing is not a particularly easy skill to acquire for fabricating home-made seats in your basement or garage.

As seen in Figure 3, the Boston Whaler stern quarter seat backrest the support tubes seem to be embedded into the back cushion. If conserving space when stowing the stern quarter seat backrests for times they were not needed, you could make the tube-to-cushion attachment point in some manner that would permit the tubes to be removed from the cushions. Perhaps the tubes could just fit into a socket in the cushion.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:53 am

Jefecinco wrote:Another option is "bean bag" seating.

We used to have a beanbag cushion for use as an aft cockpit seat. Bob D on OUTRÉ has several of them for passengers to sit on in the rear of the OUTRAGE 22 cockpit

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:33 pm

After a closer look at the Boston Whaler quarter seats, I noticed that the support tubes for the backrest are not very large diameter. Were I going to duplicate them on homemade seats, I would find a boat with the OEM seats and take a close look at how the support tubes fit into the rod holders. They must be held in a fixed position in some manner.

As I mentioned before, the accessories on Boston Whaler boats are usually well designed and often quite crafty in their methods. I would want to see how Boston Whaler fit the seat back posts into the rod holders in a firm and fixed manner.

NastyN8

2008 170 MONTAUK Aft Seats

Postby NastyN8 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:56 am

For a 2008 170 MONTAUK [that has the stern live well option] what seating options are now available for rear seats as seen below in Figure 1.

170LiveWell.jpg
Fig. 5. The aft cockpit configuration of the 2008 170 MONTAUK boat under discussion.
170LiveWell.jpg (10.39 KiB) Viewed 6428 times

Note: I don't believe I could add the rod holders that double as [mounting points] for the seat backrests.

To have a way to set up aft seats with back rests would be great.

Back Story: I am the new owner of a 2008 170 Montauk that was inherited from my late father-in-law who purchased it new as his fishing boat. I am not a fisherman, nor do I plan to be one.

I am proud to be a part of this admirable community.

I would like to make the boat a bit more comfortable for passengers.

[Moderator's note: I have reduced the image file size by a factor of more than 1-to-1000. I have cropped the image to show the area under discussion and made the image in-line for simpler viewing. The original image was over 3,500-pixels in width and over 2,100-pixel in height. The maximum allowed image size for inclusion in-line in this forum is 900 x 900 pixels and 250-kBytes. There is hardly ANYTHING in the realm of boating that needs an image larger than those limits to be used as an illustration to convey useful information in a discussion.]

jimh

Re: 2008 170 MONTAUK Aft Seats

Postby jimh » Wed May 12, 2021 12:30 pm

If you have no plans to use the live well, consider removing the live well. Removal of the live well will increase space in the aft cockpit for better seating. An upholstered full-width stern bench seat with back rest could then be installed.

For advice on how to remove the live well, contact Boston Whaler customer service.

I am not a great historian of the seating options for a c.2008 170 MONTAUK. There might have been at one time an option for a factory installed stern seat. Or a stern seat from a non-OEM fabricator could be installed.

Comparing the seating images above, it appears the gunwales at the stern are thicker in the newer 170 MONTAUK boats than the original. That seems to prohibit installation of rod holders in the transom gunwales.

NastyN8

Re: 2008 170 MONTAUK Aft Seats

Postby NastyN8 » Wed May 12, 2021 3:12 pm

Thanks jimh! I've decided to have my own custom bench fabricated. It's really the only (cost effective) way to get exactly what i'm looking to have done. I'll remove the livewell and have a bench created that spans the full width of the stern. I'm debating on if I want it to cover the existing "seats" or not since I think having padded upholstery on top of the existing "seats" might not make sense for swimmers getting in and out of the boat. If I don't cover those seats, there will be a nice hard, non-slip surface for swimmers to step on instead of on a padded cushion.