Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  Barbour Plastic part number?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Barbour Plastic part number?
LUV2FISH posted 04-25-2001 03:50 PM ET (US)   Profile for LUV2FISH   Send Email to LUV2FISH  
I'm trying to get a rubrail for my 79 20ft outrage from Barbour Plastics and Clair said she needed the part number for the barbour product whaler used. Anyone know what that might be? She said it would be a 4 digit number starting with F or R possibly. She said she would send me a catalogue and maybe I could find the match but I thought someone here might know and save me some time. Thanks for any help!
hardensheetmetal posted 04-25-2001 05:27 PM ET (US)     Profile for hardensheetmetal  Send Email to hardensheetmetal     
I just went through this with Barbour. She finally sent me their catolog cut sheets to identify which parts I needed. For a new style three piece rub rail, the part numbers are:

L-Moulding - F819 (color)
Receiver - R1078 (color)
Insert - F878 (black)

The colors are dependant on the year of the boat.

Hope this helps,

outrage posted 04-25-2001 09:50 PM ET (US)     Profile for outrage  Send Email to outrage     
I spoke with Clair today about purchasing a red insert for my rub rail on a '73 19' outrage. I am trying to located the part #, but haven't had any luck. Let us know how your search turns out.
LUV2FISH posted 04-26-2001 09:09 AM ET (US)     Profile for LUV2FISH  Send Email to LUV2FISH     
I think possibly Clair really does not have time to keep up with all the different cross-overs from Barbour's part numbers to which whalers they belong. It's probably possible for her to find the matches but with this website and probably others increasing the demand, Barbour/Clair has remanded to dealing with consumers as they would manufacturers. You need to know what you need when you call to place the order. A possible aid would be a cross-over reference on this site to which we all could refer making our quest and Clair's job much easier. I will be glad to upload the catalogue specs I receive and try to create such a reference. Rubrails are a very common replacement item and at the huge savings we can accomplish through dealing direct ($349.00 VS $110.00 in my case) we probabably should make the process easier before we lose the priviledge. Just my 2 cents.
lhg posted 04-26-2001 01:11 PM ET (US)     Profile for lhg    
I have a Barbour catalog if that will be of any help. I shows all of the sizes of the type of rail BW used, but it's hard to tell what size went on which boat.
hardensheetmetal posted 04-26-2001 05:58 PM ET (US)     Profile for hardensheetmetal  Send Email to hardensheetmetal     
In response to the idea of purchasing direct vs. purchasing from the BW dealer, I found Clair to be a very nice person, but I believe you are very correct in that you should act like OEM and know exactly what you need, before you call. I found their pricing to be not so far off from my dealer, especially when you factored in the quantity you had to purchase. I ended up buying the kit from my dealer and spending about $20.00 more than what Barbour was charging me, and I didn't end up with more than I needed.


hardensheetmetal posted 04-26-2001 06:06 PM ET (US)     Profile for hardensheetmetal  Send Email to hardensheetmetal     
On a similar note, I looked all over for rail fittings to match my existing on a 1970 13' Sport, and was unable to locate anything close. I was going to purchase them directly from CMI, but then found out that my dealer could supply them for $1.00 more. My dealer told me that many Whaler dealer have become frastrated with having to purchasing out of production (older) rail parts from CMI. Evidentally CMI has been charging dealers retail for these parts and selling them to the public at the same cost. The dealers then talked BW into purchasing inventory from CMI and these are now stock parts again.
This brought up a new problem, Brunswick has changed some (maybe all) Whaler part numbers over to their system, according to my dealer, which is causing a lot of confusion.


LUV2FISH posted 04-27-2001 09:25 AM ET (US)     Profile for LUV2FISH  Send Email to LUV2FISH     
In reply to hardened's response on cost, My intent is to purchase double the length I need to meet the minimum. In a previous post it was stated 100 ft cost about $229 delivered. I need 54Ft. My intent is to buy 110 ft for around $230-240 and sell what's left on ebay. I "assume" I will get close to $100 for that. The kit for my boat at 54FT sells for $349.00 at my local dealer. Hoping to end up with a net cost of around $150, saving $200. Hey lhg, my rail is 1 3/4 wide with a 1/2" lip with a 1" slot for the insert. Its a 2-piece. The color is desert tan I believe. Can you find anything for me?
lhg posted 04-27-2001 02:33 PM ET (US)     Profile for lhg    
Luv2fish - I'll try and dig out the catalog this weekend and see what I can find.
LUV2FISH posted 04-30-2001 09:12 PM ET (US)     Profile for LUV2FISH  Send Email to LUV2FISH     
Well, I got the catalogue and man do they make alot of rails!! The catalogue has digrams of the different rails in actual size, I believe. Probably would be impossible to upload this thing and make it work. Best to have it in your hands and a piece of your rail to match with. My recommendation for anyone wanting to order through barbour would be to call first and just ask to have a catalogue sent to you then make the match and call back and order it. Best of luck!
dreid posted 05-01-2001 03:48 PM ET (US)     Profile for dreid  Send Email to dreid     
Larry, I have a bead on an original cast aluminum center-console-mounted outrigger bracket. It has the remains of a little two-piece rubrail riveted around the perimeter. The white backing is only about 5/8 inch wide at the back, taking a little black rubber insert to complete the rail. Do you think Barbour sells such a small item as this? Good news is that Lee's confirms they still stock the stainless ourigger holders that are missing from the bracket I've found. David
LUV2FISH posted 05-15-2001 02:17 PM ET (US)     Profile for LUV2FISH  Send Email to LUV2FISH     
OK, Final update! I got the catalogue, made the match and called Clair. What she does is looks to see if partial rolls of the material you are looking for are available in their stockpiles. They will not cut what you need off of a standard 500 foot roll. She had a 65ft piece of the rail which she sold to me at $2.10 a foot. She had a 70 foot piece of the insert which she sold me at $.70 a foot. My bill totaled $185.50 plus $16.18 freight for a total of $201.68. I saved $150. If they do not have the rail you need in a partial piece,(incidentally, they do not cut these either) you would have to buy a 500 ft roll at a little less per foot and they would extrude it just for you. The same inserts fit many different rails, so these are probably readily available. The more crucial element will be the rail itself. Anyway, that's how it works. Hope this helps others looking to do the same.
lhg posted 06-13-2001 04:02 PM ET (US)     Profile for lhg    
In looking at my Barbour catalog, and the part numbers mentioned above, my guess is that those are for the smaller rail kits, used on the 13 & 15' Whalers. The rubrails on my Outrage are larger. I will compare to the catalog and post the numbers. BW did, incidentally, install these upside down from the way they are shown in the catalog.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.