Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   transducer
Toad2001 posted 05-28-2001 01:07 PM ET (US)   Profile for Toad2001   Send Email to Toad2001  
I want to install a depth finder on my 1989 15'. Are there any transducers which can be simply stuck onto the floor (under floor or console) and effectively work thru the foam hull?
Seems to me this would be the cleanest install.
Dick posted 05-28-2001 07:33 PM ET (US)     Profile for Dick  Send Email to Dick     
Sorry, there is no easy way on this one. A transducer signal will not penetrate the foam. If you don't want to attach it to the transom permenantly there are detachable mounts that simly clamp to the transom.
Whalerdan posted 05-29-2001 09:32 AM ET (US)     Profile for Whalerdan  Send Email to Whalerdan     
The manual for my depth finder (hummingbird 100SX) say's you can bond it inside the hull on the floor. Also, I just talked to a guy here at work and his bass boat has a transducer mounted inside (bonded to the floor).
Dick posted 05-29-2001 10:13 AM ET (US)     Profile for Dick  Send Email to Dick     
This will work in many boats, if the hull is not foam filled. The way a Boston Whaler is constructed with a foam filled hull the signal from the transducer can not penetrate the foam.
Tom W Clark posted 05-29-2001 11:17 AM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     
Dick is right; the signal will not penetrate the foam. But a transducer can be mounted in a Whaler by drilling a hole in the liner at the appropriate spot and carving out the foam all the way down to the inside of the hull and bonding the transducer there.

The transducer will work, albeit at a lower level of performance but, of course, you now would have a big hole in your boat where water will accumulate next to the foam. Very undesirable. I do not like this idea nor do I recommend it but it has been done before.

If you are set on doing it this way then I suggest you use a large hole saw to make the hole in the liner and then install a watertight deck pry out over the hole. You would then probably have to use a waterproof through deck cable fitting on top of the pry out for the tranducer cable to pass through.

Kim posted 05-30-2001 08:12 PM ET (US)     Profile for Kim  Send Email to Kim     
yes ! you can do a thru hull.
I have one in my montauk17. it is easy to do, but the transducer has to have a long stem. I have a FCV582L fruno/with a camsBR7 transducer. if you want to do this e/m me and I can fax you a paper on how to do this. I also have some pics of the install. I fish 100 fathoms and deeper to 175 fathoms. thru hull is the best !!!
I can even back down a read the machine !
Guts posted 02-16-2003 02:43 AM ET (US)     Profile for Guts  Send Email to Guts     
here is one more
Stauter99 posted 02-16-2003 09:12 AM ET (US)     Profile for Stauter99  Send Email to Stauter99     
I don't think hes talikng about a thru hull. He just wants to have a transducer on the floor so he wont have to drill any. Like Dick and Tom said, it won't penetrate the foam, I know from expeirence. Just my 2 cents.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.