Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  Drain Hole

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Drain Hole
compounder posted 07-06-2001 09:23 AM ET (US)   Profile for compounder   Send Email to compounder  
While washing down my Moutauk last evening, the water from the hose dislodged a front portion of the metal lining of one of the drain holes in the motor well. I found a piece of the drain tube about 3/4" long, the rest being still firmly attached in the hole.
How do I repair this properly?
Thanks. Joe
Tom W Clark posted 07-06-2001 10:38 AM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     

Simply replace it. Remove what's left by whatever means necessary.

If you buy a brass drain tube (available almost anywhere for about $2) you'll need to cut it to length and flare it with a flanging tool ($36 from Hamilton Marine, ) after bedding it in some sealant like a polyurethane caulk (3M 5200, Sika 241, ect.)

You can also get the newer plastic drain tubes which you simly glue in with polyurethane caulk then trim flush with the transom after the caulk is set.

Eric posted 07-06-2001 02:13 PM ET (US)     Profile for Eric  Send Email to Eric     
Compounder, you're lucky that it's the motor well, so that you can use a standard length drain tube. Trying to find one for the bottom of the transom can be hard. Marine surplus in Sarasota has tubing in uncut stock.
triblet posted 07-06-2001 09:14 PM ET (US)     Profile for triblet  Send Email to triblet     
Check the other tubes. If one went, the
others may be close behind.


Outrage18 posted 07-09-2001 10:07 AM ET (US)     Profile for Outrage18  Send Email to Outrage18     
I have a bow drain hole that looks loose.
Where do I get that piece?
Any help would be apreciated.


Bigshot posted 07-09-2001 10:21 AM ET (US)     Profile for Bigshot  Send Email to Bigshot     
Any marine shop. 1" with 7/8's inside. Measure how long you need it and get the tool.
Tom W Clark posted 07-09-2001 10:25 AM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     

I assume you are talking about the brass drain tube that leads from your bow locker through the hull, the outboard end of which is covered by a Perko clam shell ventilator.

I believe, though I may be wrong, that that tube is short enough to be replaced by the above mentioned $2 part. These are available at any chandlery like West Marine.

Chuck makes a very good point. If you are going to replace one, why not go ahead and replace them all and be done with it for another 10 or 20 years.

compounder posted 07-15-2001 02:03 PM ET (US)     Profile for compounder  Send Email to compounder     
Could you or someone else please elaborate on how to remove the existing drain liners. I've mangled them pretty good and have not yet been successful. Thinking of using jig-saw to cut through them longitudinally now. Mine are cracked and corroded, but are clinging to the transom like mad. Help!
whalernut posted 07-15-2001 08:50 PM ET (US)     Profile for whalernut  Send Email to whalernut     
Joe, I also would like to know how to remove the old brass drain plugs, I would like to replace mine next Spring! I leave mine in the water for over 6 months a year and would like a good seal, especially at the transom! Regards-Jack Graner.
Tom W Clark posted 07-16-2001 11:29 AM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     

I like the idea of a longitudinal cut but be careful if you use a jig saw. A reciprocating saw (sawzall) would be more controllable.

If it were me I would probably use a hacksaw blade held in one of those cheap holders that allows the blade to extend out be itself. Sometimes if just clamp a hack saw blade in a pair of "vise grips" and use that as my handle.

If you can make two cuts near one another you should be able to remove the small piece first and then the rest of the tube will have the pressure taken off it. Grab the edge of what remain with a pair of needle nose pliers and twist it in order to "roll up" the brass. This should lift the brass from the surface of the whole.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.