Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  In-Hull Transducer Experience Anybody?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   In-Hull Transducer Experience Anybody?
Chap posted 12-12-2001 10:54 AM ET (US)   Profile for Chap   Send Email to Chap  
Hello all,
This was in the back of my head for some time.
I do not like the transducer hanging on the back of my boat and would prefer it located on the interior. I would rather not puncture the hull's bottom skin. This I believe has been discussed in the past related to factory located areas in the hull of a 25 Classic Outrage/Guardian for thru-hulls, but I do not believe the area exists for my Recreational 1989 22 Outrage. I briefly saw an installation of an "in-hull" transducer that seemed appropriate and similar to a 31 factory installation mentioned here. The guy had cut a hole in the rear deck the size of the already existing round deck covers, took the foam out just enough to glass in a pvc tube(top and bottom), installed the in-hull sealed in mineral oil at the bottom of the tube(looks like Airmar has one that replaces the oil necessity now and deadrise issue) and used a matching deck cover to seal it up nicely. Anyone out there ever do this? Any first hand knowledge or opinions would be appreciated.
OutrageMan posted 12-13-2001 11:51 AM ET (US)     Profile for OutrageMan  Send Email to OutrageMan     
If memory serves, I believe that there are through hull transducers that do not require a hole in the hull. They basically shoot through the hull.


lhg posted 12-13-2001 12:59 PM ET (US)     Profile for lhg    
Only the 25' hull was designed to accomodate the "shoot thru hull" transucers. All other Outrages require transom mounted units. In this category, the Lowrance/Eagle small sized patented "skimmer" is the best as far as I'm concerned. This alone is reason to buy one of their units. Simple to install correctly, no spray, and will hold the bottom signal over 60mph.
Chap posted 12-13-2001 01:01 PM ET (US)     Profile for Chap  Send Email to Chap     
Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about.
In-hull vs. thru-hull. It would sit inside and shoot threw the bottom skin.


Chap posted 12-13-2001 03:18 PM ET (US)     Profile for Chap  Send Email to Chap     
Thanks for the input folks. lhg, you beat me to the reply.:) A Loran/fish finder combo with a transducer on the stern came with the boat. Thought maybe I could try to clean up the stern and fill the holes when I get a gps combo unit. Not a big deal either way though regarding the transducer. I couldn't remember exactly where the guy installed the tube but could probably figure out a spot in a pinch.
where2 posted 12-21-2001 01:10 PM ET (US)     Profile for where2  Send Email to where2     
Generally speaking, if you were to cut through the deck, and dig out the foam, you could install a test setup by gooping the bottom of an appropriately sized chunk of PVC pipe to the hull using Plumbers Putty, then fill the pipe to just over the transducer with a cup or two of water. Unfortunately, you've already cut the deck by the time you find out whether this really works in your hull. With anyone else's hull (W/o foam sandwich) you can use this method to test various locations prior to final mounting with 3M 5200. Mount a pvc end cap loose over the top to keep water from sloshing out or readily evaporating... OR, there are kits to glue a transducer to the hull forming a bonded medium through which the sound energy travels.

One note of caution, power is reduced when you shoot through the hull versus on the transom. So, if the unit was good to 600' on the transom, maybe it's only good to 350' through the hull. Is this important?

Chap posted 12-27-2001 10:12 AM ET (US)     Profile for Chap  Send Email to Chap     
Thanks everyone.
Seems a tad on the fringe for very little benefit. I hope everyone is having a great holiday.
Makaira posted 01-03-2002 05:10 PM ET (US)     Profile for Makaira  Send Email to Makaira     
I have a 1973 outrage and I mounted a thru-hull transducer two years ago. I located it in the deck sump area immediately adjacent to the drain plug. However, I had to lenghten the transducer shaft as it was not long enough to fit all the way thru the hull. I did this by making a threaded coupler and adding a pience of threaded brass pipe. I also had to make a coustom fairing block. I sealed the thing with plenty of 5200. It works great and I get consistent bottom readings in water over 100 feet deep while on plane at high speeds. Drilling the hole was a bit of a trick too: I had to use a flexible bit shaft as there was not enough clearance above the deck. It was tricky but I pulled it off.
peteinsf posted 01-11-2002 03:15 PM ET (US)     Profile for peteinsf    
I knew I had a reason I talked myself into a 25.

This sounds cool, I was going to put a transom mount on my whaler-drive 25' Outrage. If I can use a "shoot thru hull" type that would be all the better. Where does the transceiver mount?


Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.