Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Whaler Repairs/Mods
  What are these?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   What are these?
AC posted 08-10-2002 03:25 PM ET (US)   Profile for AC   Send Email to AC  
This is a second attempt on my part to submit a photograph of some unusual looking brackets that were riveted to the inside of a 1963 13-ft Sport I am restoring. There are two pairs, with each pair facing each other. Do you recognize them?
You no longer need a password to access this:

p.s. I would like to thank so many of you that contribute knowledge and info. to this site. This is my first boat restoration. I was compelled to buy this '63" Whaler after perusing this site. I have learned so much from you! Thanks, Adam

dscew posted 08-10-2002 04:02 PM ET (US)     Profile for dscew    
Those are holder brackets for slats that go between them as supports for a mooring cover. The slats are typically flexible wood or fiberglass.
scarlson posted 08-10-2002 05:20 PM ET (US)     Profile for scarlson    

The slats go in these and are bowed up so the water does not pool in the cover and ruin it. Kind of why most roofs come to a high peak so they shed water. It appears you did not get the canvas cover and the slats with the boat. If you got the canvas you probably see how it valleys and will retain water in pools when at the dock. If you got the slats, push them in one side and force them into the other and put on the canvas. Nice little water sheding tent.

Tom W Clark posted 08-10-2002 08:57 PM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     
Lets try this:

dscew and scarlson are correct. they are for bows that hold up a cover or tarp though not an OEM Whaler cover made by Mills Canvas. The Mills covers fit the small boats very well without any puddling.

The sockets are not a Whaler part at all but rather something somebody has added somewhere along the way.

The Mills mooring covers utilize a longitudinal dowel supported by two upright dowels that are attached to the mooring cover itself.

If you end up buying a Mills mooring cover you will not need these pieces of hardware. You could remove them by drilling out the pop rivets and patching the gel coat with some patch paste.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.