Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Small Boat Electrical
  Cole Hersee Push-Pull Switch Mounting

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Cole Hersee Push-Pull Switch Mounting
david2000 posted 05-10-2012 10:59 PM ET (US)   Profile for david2000   Send Email to david2000  
I've purchased a few Cole-Hersee M-606 and M-532 push-pull switches for my newly installed mahogany Super Sport interior and would like to seek installation advice. Do I need a panel to mount these switches on? Or, can I mount them directly onto the mahogany? If they are mounted directly onto the mahogany, how do I label the switches? Thanks.
jimh posted 05-11-2012 08:39 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
A small escutcheon panel above the switch actuator can display a label.
prj posted 05-11-2012 10:13 AM ET (US)     Profile for prj  Send Email to prj     
I'm sure you can mount these directly through the mahogany, the only variable being the length of threading on the switch body versus the thickness of your mahogany panel. Verify this.

How are you handling fuses for this installation? In-line or separate components located beneath the switches? That decision may influence your use of a separate panel or direct install. The Boston Whaler OEM aluminum panels are fairly available used, if you opted to go that route. They'll be prepared for switch and fuse and could be installed in the fiberglass console or the mahogany panel.

I'm not certain how an escutcheon "panel" comes into play here. I've only heard of an escutcheon plate, a transition component, much like a finish washer, used to cover a raw cut opening in a finished surface. Please explain this escutcheon panel solution, perhaps with links to an image of said panel displaying a label.

West Marine or your local marine store may have a collection of small plastic labels with appropriate wording. These look quite nice and may work dependent upon your switch needs. If "Blender" is one label, you may be out of luck, but they do have most of the standards electrical devices.

DVollrath posted 05-11-2012 11:47 AM ET (US)     Profile for DVollrath  Send Email to DVollrath     
Blue Sea Systems sells panel labels.

The adhesive works well on metal, including powder-coated. The have a large selection of stock labels, but also have a service which allows you to order custom labels. The cost of the custom is $5/label + $5 for total order processing. Turnaround time was less than a week for my order.

It's not clear how well these would work if applied directly to wood.


jimh posted 05-11-2012 08:10 PM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
M-W.COM defines escutcheon as a noun that means:

--a defined area on which armorial bearings are displayed and which usually consists of a shield

--a protective or ornamental plate or flange (as around a keyhole)

--the part of a ship's stern on which the name is displayed

In electronic components an escutcheon is generally a small panel that surrounds a control device; the panel contains the legend or identifier for the control's function. This is in the sense of the second definition, above, that is, an ornamental plate or flange.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.