Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: Small Boat Electrical
  Cable Grommets

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Cable Grommets
jason78 posted 04-19-2014 08:04 PM ET (US)   Profile for jason78   Send Email to jason78  
I have a Lowrance HDS7 mounted on top of the console of my 1997 20 Outrage. I used an existing hole from an old fish finder to run up through the power and transducer cable. A problem when it rains is, of course water, leaks in to the console. Aside from one of the Perko Clamshell Vents, does anyone have any suggestions for a grommet that would allow the cable to come through but provide adequate water protection? I like the Blue Sea Cable Clam 1007 but I have two cables. Wish they made one with two or three notches.


contender posted 04-19-2014 08:10 PM ET (US)     Profile for contender  Send Email to contender     
Easy, 5200 around the cable, and fill the hole. If you want a type of water tight fitting for a cable I would look at a top end marine electronics store, I have seen them on yacths just do not know what they are called.
Sourpuss1 posted 04-19-2014 09:51 PM ET (US)     Profile for Sourpuss1  Send Email to Sourpuss1     
These come in a few sizes, and in plastic. seafit--coax-cable-deck-fittings--P003_094_003_006
Dave Sutton posted 04-20-2014 09:34 AM ET (US)     Profile for Dave Sutton  Send Email to Dave Sutton     
There's a reason most people use clamshell vents, and that's because they work, allow later re-entry for more cables of changing out electronics, and are waterproof enough for a console.

The waterproof pass-thru glands are called "strain reliefs" when used in other cable-pass applications. McMaster-Carr has dozens of them in a variety of sizes and materials. The problem with all of them is that you need to pass a raw cable (no end connection attached) thru a grommet. Good luck doing that with a sonar transducer cable....

The marine waterproof connections often have a sliced tapered rubber grommet that slips over the cable from the side, which is then compressed by a nut into the body of the fitting to make a waterproof seal. Typically these are used to enter a copmpartment that needs to be FULLY watertight, like the overhead of the cabin of a large boat. On a Whaler center console they are real overkill.

I use two cvlamshell vents on the top of my 'Tauk as cable pass thru points. I run with sheets of salt water and rain running over the console, followed by a vigorous hosing to wash off salt, and the interior of the console stays dry.



Jeff posted 04-20-2014 10:00 AM ET (US)     Profile for Jeff  Send Email to Jeff     
I use Big Jon Cable Caps for the top of my consoles. They are water tight once the cables are in and they do not require you to cut a connector end off to pass it through like the one from West Marine above. These come in single and double cables.

jimh posted 04-20-2014 10:49 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
jimh posted 04-20-2014 10:54 AM ET (US)     Profile for jimh  Send Email to jimh     
Go to your local hardware store. Ask for adhesive electrical putty or "dumb-dumb". Use this to make a temporary seal in the hole where an electrical cable passes through a bulkhead or surface. This material has been used for decades to provide a seal for electrical cables in outdoor installations.

Try this putty:

You can probably find it at Home Depot, too. A gray or blue color putty is probably better than black, which might get too hot in the sun and make a mess.

Ridge Runner posted 04-28-2014 10:00 PM ET (US)     Profile for Ridge Runner  Send Email to Ridge Runner     
Newmar Waterproof Cable Entries - CCX Series - pricey but 100% waterproof. Newmar-Waterproof-Cable-Entries-CCX-Series-p-90891116.html

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.