GARMIN 943xsv Engine Data Bug

Information about Evinrude I-Command, ICON Pro, and ICON Touch Color Displays
FredBoykin

GARMIN 943xsv Engine Data Bug

Postby FredBoykin » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:26 pm

On my boat the NMEA-2000 networks includes:
  • a GARMIN 943xsv chart plotter and SONAR
  • an Evinrude 2010 E-TEC 130-HP engine, and
  • a LOWRANCE EP-90R pressure sensor device, which is connected to the engine cooling system to monitor the water pressure.

I set-up the GARMIN 943xsv for a single-engine installation, but the GARMIN 943xsv sees two engines on the network: the E-TEC and the EP-90R pressure sensor. As a result, the the GARMIN 943xsv display shows the TRIM data for two engines. I have labeled the LOWRANCE EP-90R pressure sensor as the PORT engine, and labeled the E-TEC as the STARBOARD engine.

trimDisplay_.jpg
Fig. 1. Garmin chart plotter display of two engine TRIM data, but only showing data for the "S" or Starboard engine.
trimDisplay_.jpg (4.21 KiB) Viewed 448 times

engineLabels_1.jpg
Fig. 2. Garmin "Engine Labels" page showing two engines.
engineLabels_1.jpg (20.11 KiB) Viewed 448 times

engineLabels_2.jpg
Fig. 3. Garmin page showing network data for EP-90R pressure sensor.
engineLabels_2.jpg (24.83 KiB) Viewed 448 times

I've tried resetting the GARMIN 943xsv; I tried letting the GARMIN 943xsv search for the number of engines; I tried calling GARMIN tech support.

GARMIN support says the 943xsv is just showing what it sees on the NMEA-2000 network, and there's nothing they can do. The GARMIN support person said to ask LOWRANCE--I can just image how that would go.

Also, the GARMIN 740s chart plotter and SONAR that I previously had did not exhibit the bug.

Give me ideas on how to resolve this problem with the GARMIN 943xsv chart plotter and its display of the EP-90R water pressure sensor as a second engine.

Note: if I disconnect the LOWRANCE EP-90R pressure sensor, I lose the information about engine water pressure on the GARMIN 943xsv and on the I-Command gauges; this remedy is not an option.

--Fred

jimh

Re: GARMIN 943xsv Engine Data Bug

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:42 am

I don't see any simple resolution to the bug in the GARMIN 943xsv where it thinks a pressure sensor is also an engine.

Generally in order for there to be "two" of something on the network, the two network devices must be identifying as the same type of device. The two identical devices are then distinguished by having difference INSTANCE designators. In Figure 2, the INSTANCE setting for both the E-TEC and the pressure sensor is set to the same value: 00. This seems reasonable because the devices are not identical. One devices is an engine, and the other is a pressure transducer.

If GARMIN technical support blames LOWRANCE for this problem, they are just trying to make you go away.

If GARMIN technical support offers no options for their device to remedy the problem, I doubt you can get a remedy from them.

ASIDE: on some E-TEC engines there is an option to install a conventional {non-NMEA-200 type) water pressure sensor to the cooling water system. That sensor sends a signal to the engine management module (EMM). The EMM converts the electrical signal from the pressure transducer into a FIELD in the NMEA-2000 parameter group PGN 127489: Engine Parameters, Dynamic. In the PGN the water pressure is sent in FIELD 8. In this manner, the engine water pressure is contained in the normal engine data NMEA-2000 being produced by the engine. For more information on PGN 127489, see my article at

NMEA-2000 Parameter Groups
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/PGN.html

Generally in order to get the EMM to send this data, the special software EV-DIAGNOSTICS v.5 must be used. However, I do not recall if the 130-HP model provides for this option. (I have the water pressure transducer installed on my E-TEC 225-HP engine and monitor the water pressure without any particular conflicts--but I am not using a GARMIN 943xsv.)

Having the engine water pressure sent by a separate NMEA-2000 device is probably what is confusing the GARMIN.

Regarding the INSTANCE setting of the EP-90R device, the value of the INSTANCE setting may be possible to change to something other than INSTANCE = 00. This would be an interesting test to see what the GARMIN would then do with the data. The problem with trying that is a LOWRANCE display is needed in order to change the INSTANCE setting of the EP-90R.

FredBoykin

Re: GARMIN 943xsv Engine Data Bug

Postby FredBoykin » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:24 am

Thank you for the response. You're the E-TEC guru for this sort of stuff and a goldmine of information. I'm pretty sure I understand your comments - especially the part about changing the INSTANCE setting.

The outboard place I bought my E-TEC back in 2010 is still doing service on them and we go way back. I'll ask the owner next time I see him and see what he has to say. He originally rigged the E-TEC and set up the NMEA-2000 backbone. I'll definitely ask about the non NMEA-2000 water pressure sensor possibility.

I'm in southwest Florida for one last vacation with the boat before we put it up for the winter. I have been diving deep into the new Garmin and re-learning E-TEC information long forgotten. The GARMIN 943xsv is a great upgrade from my ancient 740s, so I can live with the trim data double display if I have to. The E-TEC technology is so old and most of the stuff appears to be discontinued so I might not have any options anyway.