Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit

VHF Marine Band radios, protocol, radio communication theory, practical advice; AIS; DSC; MMSI; EPIRB.
Jefecinco

Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:12 am

In 1958 I began working for an ambulance service. A requirement for the job was to get an FCC radio operator's license for the two-way radios we used to communicate between the ambulances and our office. I have kept the license for all these years as a keepsake of the job that was more fun than any teenager should be allowed to have. As far as I know the license did not have an expiration date.
Butch

jimh

Re: Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:18 pm

BUTCH--your old document is probably a RESTRICTED RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT. It is still valid today; they were lifetime permits.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:51 am

Thank you for the information. Does the license have any practical application now?
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:00 am

Jefecinco wrote:Does the [Restricted radiotelephone permit] have any practical application now?
It is still useful in the Maritime Radio service for operating a VHF Marine Band radio when you are in foreign water or visiting a foreign port or making radio contact with foreign stations.

As I recall, it was also useful for radio disc jockeys to work at broadcast stations, although I cannot say for certain that the permit is still required. The FCC emended a lot of broadcast regulations and placed the complete obligation to maintain and operate in compliance with the rules onto the licensee or a designated chief operator.

The permit may have also been and perhaps still is useful in other radio services, such as Aviation or Railroad.

As long as you have a readable copy of that permit, it is still valid.