Trailer for 2000 Dauntless 160

A conversation among Whalers
Bestcoast

Trailer for 2000 Dauntless 160

Postby Bestcoast » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:10 pm

Q1: what trailer is recommended for a 2000 DAUNTLESS 160?

Q2: what are the dimension for a 2000 DAUNTLESS 160 trailer?

BACKSTORY
I need to replace my trailer on a Dauntless 160. I have looked EZ Loader and Tuff Trailers in aluminum. Neither come with keel rollers, but can be added. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Jefecinco

Re: Trailer for 2000 Dauntless 160

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:09 am

To find a source for a trailer it's useful to include your location. Aluminum trailers are probably the best selection to minimize corrosion but it's important to ensure the trailer uses high quality stainless steel hardware throughout. A galvanized steel trailer is often selected for it's lower cost and excellent corrosion resistance. I have owned both aluminum and galvanized steel trailers and aluminum would be my choice if cost was not a consideration. Choose a trailer with a good quality winch and lights. For a typical 16 foot boat trailer brakes may not be necessary but state regulations may differ.

Karavan is the OEM trailer manufacturer for Boston Whaler.

There are numerous discussions about trailers on this site. A site search would be worth your time.
Butch

Bestcoast

Postby Bestcoast » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:09 pm

Thanks. I’m in the Portland, Oregon, area.

I’ve searched this site and found a lot of good info.

My most pressing concern is having the dimensions for the ideal trailer for my boat.

I’m OK spending extra for aluminum.

I want a solid trailer that can handle saltwater and lots of road miles. I’m leaning toward the relatively expensive custom build from Tuff Trailer out of Washington state. They make lots of boat trailer for Boston Whaler boats.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:32 am

The boat trailer market seems to have two types of manufacturers: locally made and locally sold companies; and larger companies with national distribution and representation.

There is nothing wrong in buying from a local manufacturer, as long as that business seems stable enough to be around for enough time to make good on any warranty they offer.

There seems to be an explosion in trailer manufacturing for open flat bed trailers for general use, and especially for hauling around lawn care machinery. It seems no one cuts their own lawn anymore. There also seems to be an explosion in trailer manufacturing for enclosed trailers, which I presume are being used to haul around expensive motorcycles, larger off-road vehicles, or other items that have enough value to keep them out of the weather and out of sight of the public.

Boat trailer manufacturing typically is local to areas with a lot of trailerable boats and plenty of launching-ramp access sites. But the growth of boating has been rather stagnant for at least a decade, and I think these other types of trailers are more profitable markets today for a would-be trailer maker.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:31 am

As the nation's population grows older and expected lifespans increase lawn services will increase also. You and especially me are pretty good examples.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:14 am

PACIFIC TRAILERS is the quality brand for the Northwest.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003