Fusion Audio Installation on 285 Conquest

A conversation among Whalers
ncomeau35

Fusion Audio Installation on 285 Conquest

Postby ncomeau35 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:29 am

Hey guys, I recently purchase a new sound system for my 2001 285 CONQUEST and am looking for suggestions on where to mount the speakers, subwoofer, and amplifers.

The speakers and amplifiers that I purchased are as follows;

(2) Fusion Signature series 6.5-inch two way speakers with LED backlight, 230W peak power (75W RMS).

(4) Fusion Signature Series 7.7-inch speakers with LED back light, 280W peak power (100W RMS)

(1) Fusion Signature Series 10-inch single voice coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer with LED backlight 450W peak power (250W RMS)

(1) Fusion 2.7-inch built-in bluetooth receiver MSUD750

(1) Fusion MS-DA51600 5-channel amplifier

(1) Fusion SG-DA41400 4-channel amplifier

I figure I will mount the two 6.5 speakers in the cabin where the existing speakers are on the back wall, and two of the 7.7's under the gunwale facing aft towards the stern where the existing two already are. This leaves me with two additional 7.7"s and the subwoofer as well as the two amplifies to mount. I am thinking a good spot for the subwoofer would be in the bench seat in the helm area, and possibly the 2 7.7"s in the helm area. as well. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions and or pictures of a similar set up. I think a good spot for my amplifiers could be within the cabin locker under the breaker panel.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

jimh

Re: Fusion Audio Installation on 285 Conquest

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 am

I don't understand the nature of the sound field and stereophonic image that will be produced by all those loudspeakers, so I cannot comment on best placement with a perspective of that realm of audio reproduction. I will have to limit my comments to some more practical and more important concerns.

Be careful that no loudspeaker or loudspeakers are installed anywhere near the boat's compass. Any loudspeaker you use on a boat ought to have a magnetic shield around the permanent magnet of the voice coil assembly to suppress creation of an external magnetic field around the loudspeaker. Keep the loudspeakers well removed from the helm area. Don't run any electrical conductors for the loudspeakers anywhere near the compass.

Be careful when creating large circular holes for mounting the loudspeakers that you are not cutting away any sort of structure of the boat hull. A Boston Whaler boat hull has rather thin laminate walls for the hull and inner hull, and cutting away any part of those structures could reduce the strength of the overall hull.

PeteG

Re: Fusion Audio Installation on 285 Conquest

Postby PeteG » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:15 am

Neil,

When I did a stereo install on my 25CC, I used boxes (mounted outside the electronics box). If you have room, without creating a spot where folks hit their head, that would be my recommendation.

The thought of cutting into fiberglass on any boat leaves me queazy, but to teach his own.

The latest trend has been stand alone bluetooth speakers, which can be transferred from boat to beach. They've come a long way in the last couple of years.

Just my .02