Boating Podcasts

A conversation among Whalers
BlueSmoke

Boating Podcasts

Postby BlueSmoke » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:30 pm

I just listened to the West System podcast from continuouswave and thought it was great. Does anyone have any other marine podcasts on boat repairs, Boston Whaler boats, boat engines, or anything boat related to listen to on my commute? Thanks

jimh

Re: Boating Podcasts

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:28 am

I am glad you enjoyed my recorded interview with Jim Watson. It was very nice to hear from you about that content (see more below). The interview was recorded in April 2000. In comparison, the first Apple iPod was introduced in October 2000, but I don't think it could access internet content until several years later.

There are two parts to the Watson interview. Did you listen to both?

There are several other interviews also available. See the list at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/radio/

I have not created any recent audio-recordings. My experience with the creation of them produced mixed results. Fifteen years ago when I was creating them back in c.2000, for many people there were problems in listening to them because their computer terminals generally lacked the ability to play audio files in MP3 format and their web browser did not directly support this capability. As a result, I do not think many visitors to the website ever listened to the recordings when they were first available. I did not receive much feedback about the recordings from listeners. Even today, there seems to be obstacles for visitors to listen to the recordings. Very recently I pointed a forum participant to listen to the WEST SYSTEM interview with Jim Watson, but that forum participant refused to listen to them because he said my webpage "wanted to install something" on his computer. No, the webpage did not "want" to install anything. The guy's computer wanted to install something to open the MP3 file he was trying to hear.

Creating the recordings was more work than one might think. It was a bit of a problem to explain to the people I was interviewing exactly what I was going to do with the recording. They had never heard the term "podcast" because the iPod had not been invented and the term was several years away from being coined or being familiar to everyone. The raw interviews had to be edited and broken into segments. I took out a lot of dead time, a lot of ah's and err's and extraneous noises. I added some music background accompaniment. I transcoded the files into the MP3 format. I had to upload them to the web server. I had to configure the web server to serve files of that type. I was doing this in c.2000 with a computer whose processor and storage space were both minuscule in their capabilities compared to what people have today. It was a lot of fun in c.2000 to do all that.