Fire On The Water

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Fire On The Water

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:17 am

I recently found an article about the tragic fire aboard the Great Lakes freighter CARTIERCLIFFE HALL from an old edition of the Proceeding of the Marine Safety Council, Vol, 38, No. 3, May 1981 and re-published it in HTML in the Ramblings from the Yawl Boat section of the website, a small collection of miscellaneous articles related to boating that I have written over the years. The fire aboard the CARTIERCLIFFE HALL was the last major ship casualty on the Great Lakes, occurring about four years after the sinking of the EDMUND FITZGERALD, a much more widely known loss of life. The article in HTML is now available at

http://continuouswave.com/misc/cartiercliffehall.html

The article was written by Capt H. F. Norton, Jr., and I have simply adapted it to HTML. I think it makes for interesting reading about Great Lakes ships. I mention it here in THE GAM because I suspect many readers would be otherwise unaware of both this new article and perhaps the actual event of the fire on the ship.

Dutchman

Re: Fire On The Water

Postby Dutchman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Jim thank you for the interesting article. These bulk carrier here on the fresh water lakes always amaze me. Some people don't know that we have these 1,000 ft ships roam these waters. I always give the the right of way no matter if the "rules" say I have the right of way and no matter if I'm in my 32ft sailboat or my 15ft Whaler.
A couple of small ones I ran into with my Montauk 150: tThe Manitowoc is 630ft I met on Lake Michigan recently and the Algowood is 740 ft I met in the 1000 Island area on the St. Lawrence I also included a link of the Manitowoc in a storm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctW9X8guXJQ
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot