1971 Outrage 21 Boat Weight

A conversation among Whalers
rtk

1971 Outrage 21 Boat Weight

Postby rtk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:29 am

I recently purchased a project 1971 Outrage 21 bare hull. It needs a lot of work but it seemed like a fairly solid boat so I took a chance at a fairly low price point hoping there would not be a good deal of water absorbed by the hull via quite a few open holes in the cockpit sole where the console used to be.

So before I start my project which includes buying a new engine for the boat I wanted to weigh the boat to see if the boat is heavy due to water infiltration.

A local concrete yard that accepts concrete waste has a scale and charged $15.00 to provide me with this weight data. A local scrap yard also weighed my trailer for $5.00.

Truck/passenger, trailer and boat weight = 6,940 pounds. (actual scale weight)
Truck/passenger weight = 4,440 pounds. (actual scale weight)
Trailer and boat weight = 2,500 pounds. (calculated weight 6,940 - 4,440)
Trailer weight = 720 pounds. (actual scale weight)
Boat weight = 1,780 pounds. (calculated weight 2,500 - 720)

Jim's handy dandy specification sheet depicts the weight of the hull as 1,600 pounds.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tions.html

I'm happy with the weight results- not so far off from the specification.

Weight is of two concerns: I don't want a "heavy" boat for performance purposes. I chose this boat for the light weight of a 21 foot boat for trailering purposes and low cost of an engine (low horsepower) to move a 21 foot boat.

I have a 2017 Toyota Tacoma access cab 4 cylinder 4 wheel drive pickup truck as my primary and tow vehicle. It has a tow capacity of 3,500 pounds. I want to switch from a 16 foot classic whaler to a boat in the 21 foot range and I want a Boston Whaler. I do not want to purchase an additional vehicle as a tow vehicle and I do not want to upgrade my truck to the 6 cylinder version. I chose this truck because it was the cheapest 4 wheel drive pickup available for this model and I really like this very basic vehicle. WT or work truck model with basically nothing to it- doesn't even have a key fob or cruise control. The 6 cylinder version has a tow rating of closer to 6,000 pounds.

The comparative light weight of the Outrage 21 makes towing this boat with my truck feasible.

Boat weight: 1,780 pounds
Engine weight: 400 pounds (E-TEC 115 HO)
Batteries: 200 pounds (1 main 2 trolling motor)
Console/leaning post: 150 pounds estimated
24 gallons fuel: 160 pounds with tanks
Total boat base weight: 2,690
Trailer weight: 720
Total base weight boat and trailer: 3,410
Weight of vehicle 1 passenger minimal gear: 4,440
Total weight vehicle, boat, trailer, 1 passenger: 7,850
Vehicle gross combined weight maximum specification: 8,050.

I trailered the bare hull back from Massachusetts to New Jersey and it towed like a dream. How will it behave towing an additional 900 pounds? Locally it is not a concern. Highway perhaps. I plan on adding brakes to the trailer to assist with stopping this load that is at maximum capacity.

The trailer is a single axle trailer that I already own that I modified to accommodate a 21 foot boat (extended the tongue by 3.5 feet). I plan on adding brakes to the trailer to assist with stopping this load that is at maximum capacity for my truck.

So that's my project progress to date and some actual weight data on the 1971 Outrage 21 that has been sitting outside in the weather for who knows how long. Now to decide by the end of the March 31, 2019 promotional period to invest in a new Evinrude E-TEC.

Rich

jimh

Re: 1971 Outrage 21 Boat Weight

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:17 pm

rtk wrote:I plan on adding brakes to the trailer...

I strongly endorse your decision to add brakes to the boat trailer, based on my experience.

I have towed a boat trailer with my GMC Suburban for about 80,000-miles of highway travel. During all that towing, there was only one day when I knowingly set off to tow the trailer without the trailer brakes working, and it was a result of a breakdown of the trailer brake system on the highway on the last leg of a 3,000-mile trip. I was astonished at how much greater difficulty there was in stopping the truck and trailer with the trailer brakes not working than with them working.

If you are starting from a clean-sheet design, that is, if the trailer has no existing brakes and no existing brake coupler mechanism, and if you will be using the trailer to launch the boat into saltwater, I recommend you use disc brakes. They seem to be more resistant to rust and easier to flush out with fresh water than drum brakes. Generally a surge coupler is the simplest mechanism for controlling the trailer brakes. With disc brakes you must use a hydraulic actuator. Usually the surge coupler hydraulic actuator must be selected for the type of brakes, disc or drum, so be sure to get the proper model.

As for the engine power needed for a vintage 21 Outrage, I think a single 115-HP engine should be workable. Dick Fisher's own OUTRAGE 21 was powered with just an 85-HP BEARCAT. See my reproduction of an old article from YACHTING magazine that describes his boat in detail:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/yachtingEyesABoat.html

Note that Dick Fisher had the 21 OUTRAGE on a dual axle trailer.

rtk

Postby rtk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:02 pm

The trailer did not have brakes so they would be an add on. Good advice on the disk brakes I will be launching in salt/brackish water and will look for a kit that groups actuator etc. so they are matched properly. There is definitely a big difference with regard to brakes vs. no brakes. Plus I was looking at the interstate laws about trailering a while back and I believe I saw that brakes are required in some states on a towed vehicle as light as 3,000 pounds or so. But safety is the main concern with this light truck.

The trailer is one I have had for around 5 years or so. It was purchased new for an 18 foot Marshall Sanderling. I've towed the Sanderling to Vermont twice with it and also used it for my 1966 16' many times back and forth to Vermont. Has provided about 9,000 miles of good service so I am a bit attached to it to be very honest. It has a 3,500 single axle and was made for an 18 foot boat. I just removed the 6 foot tongue and replaced it with a 9 foot tongue. Replaced the springs that were rusted up and new tires so she is good to go.

Given the light weight of the Outrage 21 I figured I would try the single axle trailer I modified for this purpose before spending money on a dual axle trailer. The tongue cost was $135 dollars and about a day or two of my time. The dual axle trailer also weighs a bit more than the single axle so a dual axle trailer for this boat may put the overall weight of boat and trailer too high for my truck. I'll see how it goes on the road when the package is complete but no doubt a dual axle trailer would be optimum.

And yes I love that article about this boat thank you!

Rich

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:35 pm

rtk wrote:The trailer...has a 3,500 [lbs] single axle...

Your calculated total boat and trailer weight (3,410-lbs) is right at the 3,500-lbs axle limit. You won't be leaving much margin on the axle loading. Also you will need tires that can handle 1,750-lbs. A typical 14-inch trailer radial tire load range-C is rated 1,870-lbs; again, not too much margin.

rtk

Postby rtk » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:43 pm

The axle is actually a 3,700 pound capacity axle when I looked at the manufacturer label today. The tires are Load Star K550 ST205/75D14 load range C- max load 1760 according to the tire sidewall. Direct replacement of the tire the manufacturer supplied with the new trailer. So that gives 3,520 pounds of load by my math as far as the tires go.

You are very much correct Jim that I am pushing the margin limits on trailer capacity and trailer axles. It actually makes me a bit uncomfortable as I like a large margin of error below rated capacity, truck and load, when transporting boats via a trailer.

This is a project that I am going to see how it goes. Big variable is going to see if I even like the boat for my purposes.

I ordered an Evinrude E-TEC 115HO today from my local tried and true boat/engine dealer and dear friends. Nice 7 year warranty and controls, tachometer and engine harness included in price as per the promotion. I could have chose a 135HO at a competitive price but I did not want to get into the V6 category with power. There was a new beautiful G2 200HO 20 inch shaft engine on a rack there that I could have had for an excellent price but I just don't want that much weight and don't need the horsepower.

My goal with this project is to keep the horsepower as low as possible on the boat. I expect the 115 E-TEC HO will give me a top speed in the mid-30 mile per hour range. That is quite acceptable to me. Given the parallel description of the ride quality of this boat with the original 16 foot Boston Whaler hull that is enough speed given my experience the past 4 years running a 1966 16 foot classic hull.

The simple, light, utilitarian design of these antiques/classics are such a pleasure to work with and operate. I'll actually be removing the console and leaning post from my 16 and using it for the 21.

The other goal is to be able to tow the boat with a light truck and a light trailer as I have previously described.

Now the fun starts. Lot of sanding, priming, painting, fiberglass repairs- basically getting the boat water tight. It's fascinating how many holes one can drill into a boat.

Rich