Buying a KATAMA

A conversation among Whalers
RonRico19

Buying a KATAMA

Postby RonRico19 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:49 am

Hey everyone,

I'm in my early 30's and I'm looking to get my first boat. I've spent a lot of time on the water my whole life but I've never had any skin in the game. I absolutely adore pre-1976 Whalers and just recently looked at a Katama last week.

Thanks to the wealth of knowledge here on Continuous Wave as well as other Whalers hubs on the internet, I came well prepared to look at the boat, or at least I thought I did.

Unfortunately, it was blowing way too hard the day I went to look at the Katama so we were unable to take her out for a sea trial.

My biggest concern with the boat is a waterlogged hull. I asked if they were able to weigh the boat and they said no (which I found odd, they run a pretty nice operation with 4 large boatels, multiple forklifts, hydraulic lift etc, surely one of those machines has a scale built in.)

Even though we couldn't sea trial that day, they did have her in the water. She didn't seem to be sitting too low in the water, and she appeared to list to the starboard side only slightly, which I imagine is typical of a Katama since it's a starboard oriented layout (console, gas tank etc all favor the starboard side).

It seems I won't be able to weigh the boat unless I do it myself after potentially purchasing it.

What are some tell tale signs for a water logged hull during a sea trial?

The KATAMA 16 It is powered by a 70-HP outboard. I imagine top boat speed will 35-MPH or faster.

My biggest reservation about buying a Whaler this old is their notoriety for water logged hulls. I have a certain amount of money in mind to basically fix up all things cosmetic, and having to refoam a boat like this would certainly be a game changer.

Advice on what to look for during a sea trial would be a huge help.

If I'm being way too paranoid about the hull being water logged, let me know.

From who has previous experience with water logged Boston Whaler boats, I would love to know more about your experience.

I'm looking forward to potentially joining the Whaler community as an owner finally and am eager for all Whaler discussion.
Last edited by RonRico19 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil T

Re: Buying a KATAMA

Postby Phil T » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:02 am

Look at the O-rings and the drain tubes. Are they dried out or missing? Look in the drain tube. Reach in with your finger.

What is the condition of the hull?

Where is the scum line on the transom?

I judge a boat by its condition. If it is shiny, clean and looks maintained, that says something.

If there are five coats of bottom paint, stained floor, damaged rub rail, rust stains etc then there you are.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

RonRico19

Postby RonRico19 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm right there with you. Overall, I don't think the boat is in bad shape for how old it is. Obviously there are plenty of 17' Whalers out there that have been looked after better.

I have some pictures I will upload for this thread. Off the top of my head here are some of the things that stuck out to me:

-The two front seats are not OEM, and they are mounted to what looks like a wooden bracket. I have no idea what the OEM mounting should look like for the two front seats, but I'm guessing it's not original considering the seats aren't OEM.

-The port side wood panel is missing, starboard side is still there.

-The anchor hatch cover is not OEM, it's just something the previous owner had cut to fit. (Doesn't even have finger holes.)

-The gas tank is definitely aftermarket and rather large, my guess is 25-30 gallon tank. It's a semi clear rectangular tank under the console bench.

-I believe all the cushions are OEM including the bow cushion.

-No idea if the bimini top is OEM but I liked it, seemed sturdy enough.

I am eager to sea trial it, for the obvious reasons but also eager to see how the hull is at speed and everything. I've never piloted one of the 17's.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:14 pm

If you scroll down a few you can see photos of an close-to-OEM Katama.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/cetaceaPage30.html
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

RonRico19

Postby RonRico19 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:09 pm

Phil,

My photos can be found here: [dead link deleted]

I also just noticed that the HIN is not on the transom below the outboard. That is where it should be located right? I'm guessing that it was painted over at some point.

jimh

Re: HIN

Postby jimh » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:33 pm

RonRico19 wrote:... the HIN is not on the transom below the outboard. That is where it should be located right?

You are confusing the stencil number with the federal HIN. Read the FAQ on this topic.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q2

RonRico19

Postby RonRico19 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:08 pm

[The KATAMA that in the future I may buy] is a pre-1972 hull.

I don't remember finding a hull number. I'm hoping to find it if I sea trial the vessel later this week.