Motivation of Boston Whaler in Wiring Navigation Lamp Switch

A conversation among Whalers
PatSea

Motivation of Boston Whaler in Wiring Navigation Lamp Switch

Postby PatSea » Mon May 04, 2020 10:07 am

On my [1972--always use four digit to describe a year] 13-foot Boston Whaler boat the navigation lamps are controlled by a Cole-Hersee switch model M532. This is a push-pull two-position ON OFF switch, and there is no ANCHOR position like all modern boats have.

I'm assuming this is the original wiring from the factory.

Why did Boston Whaler not wire a three position switch so that one could select navigation lights or anchor light only?

jimh

Re: Motivation of Boston Whaler in Wiring of Navigation Lamp Switch

Postby jimh » Mon May 04, 2020 10:54 am

Before trying to answer your questions, I have to note a problem in the fundamental basis of the question:

If your boat has only a two-position switch, the switch CANNOT be a Cole-Hersee M532 switch, because a Cole-Heresee M532 is a three-position switch used extensively to control navigation lighting. A properly wired M532 switch will have three positions: OFF, AT ANCHOR, UNDERWAY.

A switch similar in appearance would be a M531, which is a three-position switch but not useful for controlling navigation lighting unless the lamps for UNDERWAY and AT ANCHOR are completely separate lamps.

A real Cole-Hersee M-532 is a bit tricky to wire. For help with wiring see the article in REFERENCE at

Navigation Lamp Wiring
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/navLightSwitch.html

Continuing further with the assumption your particular Boston Whaler boat has a two-position switch ON-OFF switch to control navigation lighting and that switch is an OEM installation, then to answer your question about the reason for Boston Whaler to choose that type switch is going to be extremely difficult to answer. I doubt anyone remains with Boston Whaler from 1972 (48-years ago) who could answer authoritatively about the company's intent by use of a simple ON-OFF switch, if they indeed did produce the boat in the configuration it has now.

On boats that have been away from the factory for 48-years, there is not a reasonable basis to presume that all electrical wiring on the boat remains precisely as it was when the boat left the factory, or even if there was any of the wiring in place when the boat left the factory. It is very common that in 48-years of use someone may have changed or added something.

Another reasonable corollary question: do you really need to show a White All-Round light when at anchor in a 13-foot boat?

Please see the USCG Rule at RULE 30, paragraph (e):
(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor, not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule.

If you really need a three position switch, buy an actual M532 and re-wire as shown in the article linked above.

PatSea

Re: Motivation of Boston Whaler in Wiring Navigation Lamp Switch

Postby PatSea » Mon May 04, 2020 1:47 pm

Jim, I just checked my boat wiring again and I did provide an incorrect part number for the switch. It is clearly marked Cole-Hersee 532, not M532. It has two terminals and is a simple ON OFF switch which controls the red green bow light and the 360 degree white all around light on the stern pole.

The intent of my original question was to determine why Boston Whaler chose not to provide wiring and a switch for both running lights and anchor lights which is (and I believe was at the time) the ABYC standard. I agree, that was a long time ago and we'll probably never know the answer.

I agree there are probably very few 13 foot Boston Whalers that are used at night in such a way as to need an anchor light. However, I often fish at night around docks and other cover, each time anchoring for about 15 to 30 minutes. The regulations require that I display an anchor light.

I'll soon be rewiring my boat and will install the 3 position Cole Hersee switch.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 04, 2020 2:05 pm

That the switch is "clearly marked Cole-Hersee 532" but only has two positions is extraordinary. Give the knob a harder tug and see if there is a third position.

Cole-Hersee switches have been in production going back to the last century, actually going back to 1948, or almost 72-years ago. They are still made. There is a separate article on Cole-Hersee switches at:

Cole Hersee Switches
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2410&p=13731

The article links to engineering drawings of the switches. The engineering drawing does not denote any model designator markings embossed onto the switch housing. Identification of an M532 is made visually by the arrangement of the four terminals. This raises a question:

The switch in your 48-year-old Boston Whaler that is "clearly marked 532" has only two terminals--it CANNOT BE a Cole-Hersee M532 switch because a Cole-Hersee M-532 switch as four terminals.

Can you show us a good image of the switch with the marking "Cole-Hersee 532" ?

I am not aware of any distinction between a model 532 and a model M-532.

Also, please cite the ABYC standard that was in effect in 1972 that would have compelled Boston Whaler to provide a switch for running lights. I don't think running lights were even a standard item on the 13-footer in 1972. I have seen older 13-footers with the running lights just wired to a terminal block in the stern, and no switch or other wiring to a battery was provided.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon May 04, 2020 2:30 pm

Navigation lights were an option on 13's going back to day 1. Most I would believe were dealer installed as the boat had the wiring built into the hull and later in the rub rail. My 1981 did not have lights and had a small yellow cap covering the wire hole in front of the norman pin. I would imagine that ordering a 13' at that time period with lights meant it came with a box with the bow light or the bow chock & light, junction box, stern light and mounting hardware and a pull switch. That box was probably next to the other boxes that had the twarts, risers and console. The box with the steering assembly and possibly the box with the OMC or Mercury engine pre rigging stuff. I had a Whaler dealer near me growing up, they used to stack them inside each other for shipment. There was a lot of rigging involved at the dealership besides the outboard, trailer and bottom paint.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 04, 2020 2:32 pm

Also--perhaps you are confusing an embossed number on the brass housing of the switch with the switch model designator. In catalog illustrations of a M-532 switch, the brass housing is shown with the number "831" embossed. That may be a part number for the housing itself, not the whole switch.

Compare at

Fig. 1. A Cole-Hersee M-532 switch.

The same housing is used on the M-531, and it also has the "831" number on it. See

https://www.littelfuse.com/products/swi ... m_531.aspx

The M-531 can easily be distinguished from the M-532: the M-531 has only three terminals; the M-532 has four terminals.

Since the mystery switch on your boat has only two terminals, it cannot be either an M-531 or an M-532.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 04, 2020 2:42 pm

Many 13-foot boats were set up with pull-start engines and did not even have a battery.

Exactly how this turned into the ABYC compelling use of a three-position switch to control navigation lights on a boat that did not have a 12-Volt DC battery nor any navigation lights when it left the factory is going to be interesting reading. I am awaiting the cite of the ABYC document that compels this.

PatSea

Postby PatSea » Mon May 04, 2020 5:00 pm

532.1a.jpg
Fig. 2. A switch with the numbers "532" embossed into a portion of the a non-metallic surface.
532.1a.jpg (11.37 KiB) Viewed 3520 times
coleHersee_.jpg
Fig. 3. A switch with the name "Cole-Hersee" embossed into a metal surface.
coleHersee_.jpg (6.27 KiB) Viewed 3520 times

The only identifying marks are the Cole Hersee name and the "532".

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 04, 2020 5:49 pm

The switch shown above in Figure 2 and Figure 3 is clearly not a Cole-Hersee M-532 switch. That the OP has deduced from the marking of "532" and "Cole-Hersee" that the switch is a Cole-Hersee M-532 is a plausible deduction for someone not familiar with Cole-Hersee switches. Unfortunately it is an entirely wrong deduction. One would only have to look at the illustration of a real M-532 switch to realize that the switch which has been the topic of this discussion was not an M-532 switch, as was claimed in the initial post. As I said in my initial reply, without seeing the switch, the description of the switch having only two position was a disqualifier for the switch being an M-532 switch.

Now back to the inferred desire of the OP to have control over the navigation lamps to be able to show a white all-round land at anchor.

If you want to be able to have a three-position switch control the navigation lamps that consist of a combined sidelight lamp at the bow and a pole lamp with white all-round lamp, buy a real Cole-Hersee M-532 switch and wire it as I describe in the article I linked above, but repeat here:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... witch.html

If you want to ponder the possible ways that switch you have now on theboat came to be installed and wired on your particular boat, then I wish you the best of luck. Unless you were the original purchaser and have had the boat entirely under your control for 48-years, to know the history of the switch will be, most likely, impossible.

If you want to know how the numbers "532" came to be embossed on the switch and you are certain the switch was made in 1978, then try to contact someone who worked for Cole-Hersee 42-years ago. Since the company was acquired by LITTLEFUSE in 2010, I rather doubt anyone presently working for LITTLEFUSE them could tell you much about vagaries in production that occurred 42-years ago when Cole-Hersee was under different ownership.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 04, 2020 5:53 pm

ASIDE on the proper names of navigation lights and the lamps that produce the light:
PatSea wrote:...switch which controls the red green bow light and the 360 degree white all around light on the stern pole.

More problems: there is no required "bow light" in the Navigation Rules. Only a red and green sidelight are required, and on certain boats of certain length the red sidelight and green sidelight may be combined into a single lantern (or lamp) that is carried at the bow. But the the lights shown are still sidelights and the latern is known as a combined sidelight lamp.

The stern pole lamp emits a navigation light known as an white all-round light. The definition of "all-round" is
All-round light means a light showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 360.

so there is no need to specify that an all-round light is shown over 360-degrees. That is understood from the definition of "all-round" in the Navigation Rules. The rules make no mention of an "all-around" light. It's "all-round light."