Outboard Engine Service Manual Lack Rigging Information

A conversation among Whalers
pcrussell50

Outboard Engine Service Manual Lack Rigging Information

Postby pcrussell50 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:56 pm

One of the first things I learned when I became a boater in the middle of 2008 was that the actual factory service manual for outboards was preferable to the Clymer or Seloc manuals. Yet ever since then, the one thing I have not found in either Mercury or Evinrude OMC manuals, or the online parts catalogs for them, for that matter, is anything about attaching throttle and shift cables.

I spent an hour yesterday solving the Rubic's cube of how to put the cable supports into the plastic support block, and then put that in the right way to the lower cowl tray on my Yamaha power headed Mercury 90. Factory service manual had nothing on the subject. Amazing. But then again, none of my Evinrude factory. manuals do either.

And try to order, or even find, a cable from boats.net or any of the others, from the parts guide for your motor.

-Peter

Phil T

Re: Outboard Engine Service Manual Lack Rigging Information

Postby Phil T » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Unfortunately the information you are seeking is typically part of the "Rigging Guide or Installation Guide.

Obtaining these are not always easy, dealers typically do not want to provide, duplicate or sell.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Outboard Engine Service Manual Lack Rigging Information

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Evinrude publishes their Pre-delivery and Rigging Guide manuals on-line. They contain a great deal of information about engine rigging.

Visit their free download website at

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/

Accessories like remote controls also come with installation manuals. Those manuals give detailed instructions. These may not be available on-line, but if you purchase an accessory it will come with a printed installation manual.