Future plans; making a hardtop

A conversation among Whalers
Bostonmako

Future plans; making a hardtop

Postby Bostonmako » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:42 am

I plan to call Boston Whaler. I will ask [them to give me] detailed plans and specifications for making a hardtop for [a boat referred to only by the number] 255.

jimh

Re: Future plans; making a hardtop

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:24 am

If discussing a Boston Whaler boat, please give the full model designator and year. For example, 1965 SPORT 13.

As a general rule, announcement of plans you intend to carry out in the future are not nearly as interesting as describing events or projects already accomplished.

Regarding Boston Whaler and disclosure of detailed information about designs and specifications, they have already provided considerable details about their boats in their public documentation of their many models, available for download from their website. See:

RESOURCES and MAINTENANCE
https://www.bostonwhaler.com/resources-and-maintenance.html

Regarding design of hard top structures and their supporting tubular frames, Boston Whaler typically uses very sophisticated engineering analysis using advanced techniques and computer modeling, and duplication of their structures will probably be very difficult or impossible for a amateur fabricator.

Bostonmako

Postby Bostonmako » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:28 pm

I may have hardtop built for my 2005 255.

[Moderator's note; SECOND REQUEST: when mentioning a Boston Whaler boat that you want to identify to readers, PLEASE give the full model designator and the model year.]

I would like the hardtop [that will be built] to be close to original.

jimh--thanks for the link [to Boston Whaler resources].

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:55 pm

The factory customer service will not be any assistance as they only support models currently in production.

They refer inquires on models not in current production to this, and one other internet based forum.

I would provide the linked PDF to a local builder to use as a reference. It is the best you are going to be able to do.

https://www.bostonwhaler.com/content/dam/boston-whaler/technical/resources/255-Conquest-Hardtop-and-Canvas-Assembly-with-Parts-List-2005.pdf
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:24 am

I have very serious doubt that the OEM hardtop for the "2005 255" boat under discussion could be duplicated at any sort of reasonable cost by a non-Boston Whaler fabricator.

Are you certain that hulls built without a hardtop will have been built with the hardtop mounting point reinforcements embedded in the hull during the molding process?