Large WHALER Decals on Hullsides

A conversation among Whalers
vtbw

Large WHALER Decals on Hullsides

Postby vtbw » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:04 pm

I am purchasing a 2019 Montauk [later clarified to be a 170 MONTAUK] with factory red graphics. I am debating about adding a large WHALER decal, like ones on the hull side of boats shown in marketing materials from the 1980's when I first fell in love with Boston Whaler boats.

Give me a pointer to an illustration of a modern Boston Whaler hull with a large WHALER decal.

Can current model boats can handle decal height of 14-inches?

Or, should the WHALER decal be scaled down?

Phil T

Re: Large WHALER Decals on Hullsides

Postby Phil T » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:22 pm

The only source for authentic decals is Magic Brush. Contact Janis at http://www.magicbrushsign.com

I don't think the boat's factory font will mesh with the classic font.

You could use Adobe Photoshop to make a mockup.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:13 am

Please give the full model name of the boat you are discussing that you describe as a 2019 MONTAUK. Without knowing the size of the boat, judging if a 14-inch-tall WHALER decal would be appropriate is going to be impossible.

I don't recall any illustrations of a c.2019 Boston Whaler boat with a big red WHALER decal on the hull sides. In the classic era, the factory offered the option for a big WHALER decal. I don't see that option available on a new boat like a 2022 190 MONTAUK. That might be something you could make an inference from.

vtbw wrote:I am debating adding a large WHALER decal...
Regarding applying those large WHALER decals to the hull sides: I am not a big fan. I think the big WHALER decal is a bit too much. Of course, that is a personal decision. Also, I think the placement is going to be very important to get the correct look. Phil's suggestion to experiment in with the design using a graphics program is good advice.

Putting that big decal on the hull side is going to draw huge attention to it, and the decal needs to be carefully placed to get the aesthetics and space with other graphic elements on the hull correct. The overall size is also very important. If the decal is going to be big, it needs to be the right big size. There will be a fine line between just the right size, too big, and not quite big enough.

I am very sure that if Boston Whaler still offered the big WHALER decals as an option, there would have been considerable thought and discussion about the font, the size, and the location for the decal on the hull by their design department. When done right, the big decal can look good, but it won't be a case of any size, any font, any placement will produce a harmonious outcome.

For me, the Boston Whaler boat hull lines and its graphics have always been a fusion subtle design elements. Improving on their classic good look has always been difficult.

vtbw

Postby vtbw » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:32 am

The boat is a 170.

Fair enough. And I agree. I'm hoping to achieve something similar to this, if I even do it at all:

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/cont ... rmat=1500w

In order to keep the simpleness of the original design, I would plan to delete the red bootstripe forward of the factory "hull" graphic on the 2019 boat. This would include the words, "170 Montauk." I'd keep a short section of the the forwardmost bootstripe and the harpoon graphic it ends with.

There's about 16" or so between the black bottom paint and the black rubrail, so 12" letters - while large - would still allow for about 2" of white hull.

If I can figure out how to CAD/photoshop it, I'll share. Thanks for your thoughts.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:00 am

A good night's sleep reminded me that Janis is a graphics designer and may be able to do mockups for you.

She's great to work with.

In the end it is what you like, not some stuffed shirt sitting in front of a keyboard.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:05 pm

vtbw wrote:I'm hoping to achieve something similar to this...
The boat shown in the URL link (above) is certainly putting out a message. If you like that message, that's the way to go.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:27 pm

Phil T wrote:I don't think the boat's factory font will mesh with the classic font.
What sort of shirt were you wearing when you gave that opinion?