Water In Hull; Source of Parts

A conversation among Whalers
dchurch3

Water In Hull; Source of Parts

Postby dchurch3 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:26 am

I just purchased a 1974 Whaler as a project for restoration. I purchased it without a motor. This is my first ever whaler. The boat probably originally had steering. The last owner used it as a tiller boat and most of that has been removed. Does anyone know of good resources or the best place to find parts? How do I assess the hull - I have seen posts that water intrusion can be a problem. What is the best way to find out if my boat has these [problems]? Any advice will be appreciated.

Binkster

Re: Water In Hull; Source of Parts

Postby Binkster » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:40 am

The most accurate and easiest way is to weigh the bare hull. Remove any wood parts and take the boat and trailer to a weigh station and check the weight. Then remove the boat and weigh the trailer. Of course you are then going to subtract the difference. The bare weight should be in the 275-300 lb. range for a dry hull. If you don't want the weight certificate the cost should be less, but that may come in handy when it come time to sell, (or maybe not)

rich

dchurch3

Postby dchurch3 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks. Obvious but good idea.

Any advise on the best source for restoration parts?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:47 am

dchurch3 wrote: Does anyone know of good resources or the best place to find parts? How do I assess the hull - I have seen posts that water intrusion can be a problem.

You are asking frequently-asked questions. See the answers in the REFERENCE section and the FAQ.

Original Equipment Manufacturers and
Recommended Vendors

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/OEM.html

Q3: Is There Water In My Hull?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q3

The 13-foot Boston Whaler is a great boat, and you will enjoy using it and restoring it.

There is an enormous amount of information archived on this website. The website is much larger than the forum.