170 MONTAUK Location of Chart Plotter

A conversation among Whalers
JayB

170 MONTAUK Location of Chart Plotter

Postby JayB » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:53 am

I plan to buy a used 170 MONTAUK in the model year range 2019 to 2022.

Q1: does the steering wheel on a 170 MONTAUK in the model year range 2019 to 2022 get in the way of seeing or operating the factory installed nine-inch chart plotter flush mounted on the sloping face of the center console?

Q2: would a chart plotter mounted using a bracket on the flat top of the center console on a 170 MONTAUK in the model year range 2019 to 2022 be better than where the factory mounts the chart plotter?

Mounting a chart plotter on a bracket on the flat top of the center console of a 170 MONTAUK in the model year range 2019 to 2022 would not be clean as the factory mounting, but to me it would be more user-friendly.

--Jay

jimh

Re: 170 MONTAUK Location of Chart Plotter

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:51 am

The design of the 170 MONTAUK changed for model year 2019. An earlier thread discusses the several changes from the existing model which dated to 2002.

new170MontaukCenterConsole.jpg
Fig. 1. A c.2019 model year 170 MONTAUK center console with factory-installed chart plotter.
new170MontaukCenterConsole.jpg (39.64 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

JayB wrote:Q2: would a chart plotter mounted using a bracket on the flat top of the center console on a 170 MONTAUK in the model year range 2019 to 2022 be better than where the factory mounts the chart plotter?
Using a bracket-mounting for the chart plotter would certainly give better access to the controls for the chart plotter. If you prefer that arrangement, you will have to look for a used post-2019 170 MONTAUK without the factory-installed chart plotter.

A chart plotter mounted above the steering wheel on a bracket would block the view of the compass, if a compass were installed. If mounted elsewhere on a bracket, the chart plotter would block access to the two cup holders, and the view from the helm position would be compromised.

The console of the 2019 170 MONTAUK seems to have been designed to created a shelf across the top of the console where the usual objects like a cellular telephone, a drink, a hat or gloves, or other gear can be placed and not fall off easily.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:11 am

I have had chart plotters both mounted on top of the console and flush mounted in the console. Neither were on 170 Montauks but that makes little difference to the discussion.

The plotter flush mounted in in the console was more attractive. But, it was less functional. It required looking away from the boats course while underway or to operate the plotter controls. Installation was difficult.

The gimble mounted plotter allowed looking at the plotter while underway or operating the controls without taking eyes off the boats course. It also allowed easily removing the plotter to prevent theft when away from the boat. I always removed the plotter when the boat was left at a shop, particularly when left overnight. Installation of the plotter was also much easier than flush mounted installation. Finally, when it was time to replace an older flush mounted plotter it required far more effort.

When installing the gimble mounted plotter it was necessary to relocate the compass. The compass was a perfect fit in a nearby cup holder cut-out. The hole left by removing the compass was a very convenient pass through for the plotter cables. A small piece of Starboard Marine Lumber cut to fit the compass cut-out and to accommodate the plotter cable was simple to fabricate. A grommet for the cable made for a clean looking installation and protected the cable from chaffing damage.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:27 pm

Jefecinco wrote:...The gimble mounted plotter allowed...easily removing the plotter to prevent theft when away from the boat
In contrast, a flush mounted plotter would be much harder to remove from the boat for a thief. On the other hand, a thief might destroy the console trying to saw out a chart plotter, but I doubt anyone would go to that effort for a 9-inch Raymarine chart plotter.

Jefecinco wrote:When installing the gimble mounted plotter it was necessary to relocate the compass. The compass was a perfect fit in a nearby cup holder cut-out.
That is very good information to share. Maybe Boston Whaler planned it that way, eh?

JayB

Postby JayB » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:55 pm

Thank you to both of you. I kind of am leaning towards a gimbal mount or a bracket mount, leaving the compass in place--if possible. If the GPS fails on the unit (and on my phone), I could just remove the chart plotter and visualize the compass. Or, just move it to the cup holder as was suggested.
--Jay

PhilD

Postby PhilD » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:49 am

I think [the location on the console for the chart plotter on a 170 MONTAUK boat] is a matter of preference.

I run my boats standing up only, so I like having at least one screen above the console because it's easier to see without looking too far down.

In my last two boats, I've had VesselView mobile which allowed me to have a cheap Android tablet mounted above the dash -- with no permanent wiring -- to free up the multi-function isplay. I also use [the cheap Android tablet] as a backup chart plotter with the Navionics app and GPS.