Inspect Steering System Periodically

A conversation among Whalers
Jefecinco

Inspect Steering System Periodically

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:15 am

In the late afternoon of July 29, 2023 I witnessed a terrible accident on the Atlantic Intracoastal Water Way. Two apparently teenage boys were aboard a classic "Stauter-Built" wooden center console skiff proceeding on the [AIWW] at speed. Suddenly the boat made a 90-degree turn and slammed into the rocky shoreline. The boat remained afloat appearing to be partially wedged between the rocks. One boy was able to stand and shout for help, but first responders had already been summoned. His companion appeared to be comatose.

The boy continued to call for help and assumed the body signal for "help needed" when boats were passing. Approximately ten boats passed the scene before one noticed the boys after seeing hand signals from onlookers on the opposite shore. As the boat turned around to help, Gulf Shores Fire Department EMT's arrived in an SUV and rendered aid.

Eventually the EMTs managed to move the boys and themselves to the civilian boat and accompanied the boys to a nearby launch ramp to a waiting ambulance.

This morning (July 30, 2023) the boat had been recovered. I hate to think of the possible consequences if the accident had not been witnessed.

I suspect the accident was due to a failed steering system.
Butch

jimh

Re: Inspect Steering System Periodically

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:54 pm

My boat was made in 1990, and it has its original c.1990 hydraulic steering system. The system appears to be in good condition, but I have, on occasion, thought about a complete refit of the steering system. The cost would be considerable, probably over $2,000. So far, I continue to use the original 1990 system, now 33-years-old and still working. I maintain a careful check on any leaking fluid from either the helm actuator or the engine actuator.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:55 pm

I have not heard of the July 29, 2023 accident. Hope those involved are okay.

Q1: was the Stauter boat damaged beyond repair?

Not many Stauter wooden boats are left.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:50 am

The press has either not learned of the accident or are disinterested. Stauter-Built boats are wooden boats. From our perspective on the opposite bank of the waterway we couldn't see the bow but the boat "appeared" to be repairable. I hope it will be repaired since the marque is not seen often. The one I was able to get a close look at was quite well made by skilled craftsmen. If I remember correctly the steering was a wire cable through pulleys system.

There is a website with a few pictures which is worth a look. http://www.stuaterbuiltboats.com
Butch

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:53 pm

Our Mobile-Tensaw delta fish camp is on land owned by the Stauter family. Unfortunately the family is out of the boat building business. Stauter built boats are a big part of Mobile history. I keep a miniature Stauter made by a relative in my den. I hope the boat involved in the accident did not have the original cable, pulley steering system.
https://i.postimg.cc/QVLQMzWn/690-C2773 ... 1-C079.jpg

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:49 am

Very nice model!
Butch